title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

which NAS for Asset ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • musicnut
    • Sep 2009

which NAS for Asset ?

Is it possible to install Asset UPnP on either a Qnap 209 or a Netgear Duo NAS ? If not , are there any stand alone NAS that Asset can be installed on ?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: which NAS for Asset ?

If you are not aware, Asset appears on the RipNAS (www.ripnas.com) as default.

Or you can choose any Windows Home Server NAS device (such as HP Media Smart, etc).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• musicnut
      • Sep 2009

Thanks Spoon,

The RipNas looks great, but I need to use a standalone NAS. I presume that there is no way of installing it on a Linux NAS, such as the Netgear or Qnap.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

No, they have very limited processing power and memory.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• musicnut
          • Sep 2009

OK, you've convinced me to buy a WHS 4bay, 4 x 1 TB NAS that I can install Asset on. The question is, which one ?

Comment

• musicnut
            • Sep 2009

The Tranquil SQA-5H-2000 looks a good bet. Is it easy to install Asset on it and is it a good buy ?

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

As a company we cannot recommend any Tranquil boxes - if I had to buy one right now it would be the acer easystore:

Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• musicnut
                • Sep 2009

Thanks Spoon, I'll take your advice. All I need to do now is research where I can buy the Acer and the best price.

Comment

• TomP
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by musicnut
                  Thanks Spoon, I'll take your advice. All I need to do now is research where I can buy the Acer and the best price.
                  I think Spoon is not recommending it because they stopped using dbPoweramp on their integrated ripper WHS's, which I did have a demo of one (Ava RS3) and it didn't seem to rip very well.

However I have the (non-Ripper) SQA-5H-2000 and bought RipNAS Essentials which works very well (apart form the inbuilt occasional quirks of dbPowerAmp track mis-naming), so you can have the best of all worlds, a much higher spec (than the Acer). Try ripcaster.co.uk who will set up the whole lot for you (I did).

Regards...TomP

Comment

• musicnut
                    • Sep 2009

This all seems a bit academic, since I haven't found anywhere in the UK that has the Acer Aspire Easystore H340 in stock ! The product looks great, the reviews are great, it's just that you can't buy it ! Can you help, Spoon ?

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Import?
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• tlchow
                        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Spoon
                        If you are not aware, Asset appears on the RipNAS (www.ripnas.com) as default.

Or you can choose any Windows Home Server NAS device (such as HP Media Smart, etc).
                        Hi spoon - I'm technologically adverse so silly question :o- does Asset function as a media server? If so, why would you need to install Asset when I presume the HP has a media server built in? Reason I ask is that a Linn forum member uses a Buffalo Linkstation Live with a built-in media server which is says works well with Kinsky Desktop. I would like to use the NAS with an itouch on which I've loaded plugplayer.

Could you run through a simple step by step procedure on loading Asset and getting it to function with an i touch for a Linn DS? Would be much appreciated!? Still running it directly from a laptop so start up time is tedious:(.

Thank you

TL

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

If you are happy with Twonky on the HP, but there are many who are not, hence why we created Asset - we had the choice to license Twonky, but took the decision to write our own, because we were far from impressed.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>