title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Apple Lossless R9 (24 bit) & m4a Update

Administrator

Apple Lossless R9 (24 bit) & m4a Update

Changes:

Apple Lossless 24 bit encoding & decoding supported
    Improvements made to Apple Lossless compression
    Added new tag recognition: Title Sort, Artist Sort, Album Artist Sort, Album Sort, Composer Sort

Bug Fix: for detecting high frequency ALAC files ( > 48KHz)
    Bug Fix: able to read ALAC files with area of NULLs after data (but not in a chunk)
    Bug Fix: able to read ALAC files with chapters
    Bug Fix: deleting all tags (or running [Update ID Tags]) could corrupt the m4a file on certain tracks
    Bug Fix: able to recover from corrupted ID Tag and read

Download:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/beta/dBpoweramp-Codec-m4a.exe

1MB
    Last edited by Spoon; 09-24-2009 at 11:28 AM.

Re: Apple Lossless R9 (24 bit)

I have performed a quick test with pop, voice, piano music and a violin concerto albums, one of each.

Funnily it appears that only the pop piece gives significantly improved compression of 5.6%. The violin concerto is 0.5% smaller whereas voice and piano are actually larger, 0.4 and 0.9%.

If you are interested in more detail, please let me know.

Christian

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi Spoon.

I wondered if you'd had a chance to look at some of the glitches with this codec not supporting all Apple Lossless tags as per iTunes? This thread http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...apple+lossless (post 12 onwards). Basically, the custom sort tags that you can add to m4a (apple lossless and iTunes plus aac) files in iTunes and/or mp3tag apps get wiped out by dBpoweramp when i run e.g. replayalbumgain codec via music convertor.

Also; occasionally when converting from apple lossless to lame the resultant filenames, and there's no pattern that I can see, replace [ with <bracket>

Administrator

Updated 24th September:

Apple Lossless 24 bit encoding & decoding supported
    Improvements made to Apple Lossless compression
    Added new tag recognition: Title Sort, Artist Sort, Album Artist Sort, Album Sort, Composer Sort

Bug Fix: for detecting high frequency ALAC files ( > 48KHz)
    Bug Fix: able to read ALAC files with area of NULLs after data (but not in a chunk)
    Bug Fix: able to read ALAC files with chapters
    Bug Fix: deleting all tags (or running [Update ID Tags]) could corrupt the m4a file on certain tracks
    Bug Fix: able to recover from corrupted ID Tag and read

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Apple Lossless R9 (24 bit) & m4a Update

Hi Spoon. Thanks for the update! Just tried this, but sadly there's a bug, I think...

1. rip to Apple Lossless using dBpoweramp
    2. use iTunes 9.1 to add e.g. "Sort Album" tags to ALAC files. dBpoweramp pop-up info shows e.g. "Album Sort: Tanx 2" on ALAC files
    3. use dBpoweramp to convert ALAC to LAME mp3. dBpoweramp pop-up info shows e.g. "Album Sort: Tanx 2" on mp3 files
    4. add resultant mp3 files to iTunes

The sorting doesn't show up on the mp3 files in iTunes. When I look at the ALAC files in mp3tag I notice the tag is listed as ALBUMSORTORDER, whereas when I look at the mp3 files in mp3tag the tag is listed as ALBUM SORT.

If I change ALBUM SORT to ALBUMSORTORDER using mp3tag on the mp3 files the sorting does show up in iTunes correctly.

Administrator

We currently do not support Album sort on mp3.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Ah, so this doesn't get me any further forward, sadly. So dBpoweramp will no longer wipe out any iTunes sorting tags when batch converting from alac to mp3 or adding Replaygain to my alac files. But the resultant sorting on the mp3 files files doesn't work in iTunes despite them working on the alac.

Thanks for the time, though!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Actually, it does help me a bit: it means when I run ReplayGain on my ALAC files my sorting tags stay intact. :smile2:

Administrator

Now Released.