title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: drive recommendations

drive recommendations

Hello All,
    This is my first time on this forum. I downloaded dBpoweramp because of recommendations on another forum. I had never heard of secure ripping, although it makes alot of sense to me to want your rips as perfect as possible. I'm a little nutty like that about my music. Anyway, I have a couple hundred cds that I want to rip to Apple lossless to get the best quality I can through my Mini3 headphone amp I'm building. I have selected secure ripping and my drive supports c2. I have the dsp effects ReplayGain and HDCD set. One of my drives supports HTOA also, but it is a dvd-rw burner and rips slower than the dvd-rom drive I'm using. Niether one supports over read, well the burner doesn't and the other one isn't listed at daefeatures. I was wondering if you all thought I might be missing out on anything by not having these features available to me. I have seen a couple hidden tracks either on the beginning or the end pop up before starting a rip. Although I need to listen to see if they worked. Does that mean the drive I have is overreading? Also could you folks recommend a couple good drives that I might be able to buy that would do a good job and has all the good features you mention in your setup guides?
    Most of my cds are ripping secure and I'm putting the ones that have errors in a separate pile until I'm done to try to fix later. Is polishing usually the answer? These disc have seen little use and I can't see anything wrong with them. Also I have noticed something when I added songs to my Ipod. I ripped all these cds before using itunes and every cd fit on my 30 gig ipod. I am only a 1/4 to 1/3 through my collection and it won't take any more music. I was ripping to .aac I believe before. Is apple lossless a larger file than .aac? This container/codec thing has me a little confused. Sorry if I went a little long. I like this programs ease of use. I do believe I'll be registering it. Thanks in advance.

fewjr

Re: drive recommendations

concerning overread: you're missing very very very little, in most cases silence.

concerning insecure cd's: if there's no visible flaw, polishing won't help much, but you can try. Also try another drive.

concerning Apple lossless vs AAC: most likely Apple lossless is much bigger.

concerning your post: a few more line feeds would make it a bit more readable

A few more line feed? forgive me

How about a dvd-rom recommendation?

No really, I didn't know what you meant by "a few more line feeds ". If you mean separate my questions a little more I can do that.

A bit more use of the enter key would make your post more readable, so your assumption of separating the questions is right. I used jokingly the term Line feed from the printer slang.

As I stated overreading has very little to no effect on your rips. So I assumed you didn't need a drive recommendation.
    Also I don't know enough from new drives to make one.

Ah...okay. I get it :smile2: Well I am starting to find some prolems with some of my rips as I listen to them. Like tag data not showing up on my ipod like normal.

Example: there is a Jethro Tull cd that shows no album art, artist name or album name....just the song titles. I suppose I need to check that each cd is correct before I move to the next. The thing is it did show up while ripping.

The next thing was I had the end of a song cut off at the very end of one cd I listened to. The Yessongs double cd. Right at the end of "Excerpts of The Six Wives of Henry the 8th". Instead of trailing off to the end it was abruptly cut short. What would cause that? A little off topic but just wondering if I am doing something wrong.

fewjr

DBpoweramp keeps to the standard tags, but many other programs don't.
    So you need to find out which tags your Ipod uses for album art and compare that to the standard dbpoweramp uses.

About the abrupt ending: maybe the split is on the wrong place on the cd and is the fading out at the beginning of the subsequent track.

dBpoweramp Guru

I use the standard tags (ID3v2.3) written with no special options for my mp3 files I create with dbpa and all work fine in itunes and my ipod (including embedded album art). You shouldn't need to do anything special.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I use the standard tags (ID3v2.3) written with no special options for my mp3 files I create with dbpa and all work fine in itunes and my ipod (including embedded album art). You shouldn't need to do anything special.
    He's ripping to apple lossless or AAC not mp3, so his problem could be taglabel related.