title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Need help tagging FLAC files

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Need help tagging FLAC files

I've read so many forums the past few days, my head feels like it's going to explode. I got a new 1 TB external hard drive to archive my CDs, then convert to mp3 for use on portable devices and such. About every article I've read says not to use ID3 tagging on FLAC files, but to use Vorbis comments instead. Does this mean that when using the dBpowerAMP ripper under OPTIONS, where it lists the meta data, that I can't use those tags, and have to check the box that says "Disable Tag Writing"? I hope that is not the case, because I have no idea what Vorbis comments are or how to use them. Also, if you can't use ID3 tags with FLAC, why does mp3tag say it works for FLAC. I've never actually used that program, but I believe it uses ID3v2 tagging.

Administrator

Re: Need help tagging FLAC files

dBpoweramp automatically writes the correct tag type to FLAC files, nothing to set or disable.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Talking Re: Need help tagging FLAC files

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    dBpoweramp automatically writes the correct tag type to FLAC files, nothing to set or disable.
    Well, that's really cool. So I can tick as many of the ID tag boxes as I want (like "encoded by", "album art", "encoder settings", etc., and they will be properly embedded into the FLAC file and be retained when converted to mp3?

Administrator

Yes

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Spoon,

Thanks for your time and help. Is the same true for APE files, and if so, which format do you suggest?

Administrator

Same for ape (ape v2 tags are used)

On my windows machine I prefer Flac-files.
    This because of

- times of ape-files are not correctly read by my WhereIsIt database
    - The winamp ape decoder doesn't allow anything to do with an ape-file after it has played the file. p.e. I need to close winamp to be able to move the ape-file or retag the file

A disadvantage of the flac-files is the tagging. Many programs use different labels for the same field. Luckily DBpoweramp can remap tags so the tagging can be optimal for the programs you use. But it needs some fiddling.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Same for ape (ape v2 tags are used)
    Thank you.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerman View Post
    On my windows machine I prefer Flac-files.
    This because of

- times of ape-files are not correctly read by my WhereIsIt database
    - The winamp ape decoder doesn't allow anything to do with an ape-file after it has played the file. p.e. I need to close winamp to be able to move the ape-file or retag the file

A disadvantage of the flac-files is the tagging. Many programs use different labels for the same field. Luckily DBpoweramp can remap tags so the tagging can be optimal for the programs you use. But it needs some fiddling.
    Thanks for your response. I'm using the flac or ape encoder (probably flac) strictly for archival purposes on an exterior hard drive. I then convert them to mp3 using LAME on dB's Music Converter (so simple even I can use it, lol) to my music folder on my C drive for general listening and adding to a portable mp3 player. I've only done a few discs (10 out of around 2500) to see how it works, and the mp3s seem to be tagged well and playing properly on Media Monkey. I'm not quite sure what kind of fiddling you mean, so if you could explain....:o

Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    . I'm not quite sure what kind of fiddling you mean, so if you could explain....:o
    This part is about the converter. When converting from ape to flac some labels are renamed. p.e. comment gets description. In dbpoweramp configuration it's possible to remap that so it stays comment. Otherwise some other programs (like Tag & Rename, Winamp, MP3tag) don't read the tags right out of the box.

However I ripped a cd to flac with a comment added and to my surprise the label for comment is comment. I expected it to be description.
    Maybe it's because of a setting I have done in the past, so can somebody confirm this who hasn't remapped labels?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerman View Post
    This part is about the converter. When converting from ape to flac some labels are renamed. p.e. comment gets description. In dbpoweramp configuration it's possible to remap that so it stays comment. Otherwise some other programs (like Tag & Rename, Winamp, MP3tag) don't read the tags right out of the box.

However I ripped a cd to flac with a comment added and to my surprise the label for comment is comment. I expected it to be description.
    Maybe it's because of a setting I have done in the past, so can somebody confirm this who hasn't remapped labels?
    Hey Tigerman,

I found that mapping tool (even though I don't know how to use it). If you don't mind, take a look at another thread I have at http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...oper*post91596 and see if you can offer any assistance. Thanks.

when i rip cd in to flac , wmp giv mi uncnown artist and album