title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

WMP importing multiple copies of same track

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • texasflood
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jul 2008

WMP importing multiple copies of same track

After ripping a CD with dBpoweramp ref. 13.2, WMP is importing 2 to 3 copies of each track. I right-clicked on each track to locate their source and they are all coming from my rip folder, which contains just one copy of each track. If I delete the entire CD from the WMP library, then click "add music to library" it imports the tracks correctly. I am not having this problem with Winamp, so I thought the problem was with WMP. However, to make sure, I ripped a disc with EAC and it worked fine, which leads me to believe that the problem has to do with dB, or a combination of dB & WMP. I tried a reinstall, but that didn't fix the problem. This makes absolutely no sense to me. I can't understand how multiple copies can be imported, when only one copy exists. I have gone over the settings pretty thoroughly, but it's quite possible that I overlooked something. I only use WMP for loading my mp3 players (it just works better for that purpose for me than Winamp), so this is quite an inconvenience to have to remember to delete each disc I rip from the WMP library, then add it back again. This is the strangest issue I have yet to encounter. Please help!
  • hitmouse
    • Dec 2008

Re: WMP importing multiple copies of same track

Which version of WMP? The library user interface changes a bit from version to version.

To check that the copies are unique, turn on the display of "File Path" in the library column listing. Are all the paths (and file extensions) the same?

Comment

• texasflood
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by hitmouse
      Which version of WMP? The library user interface changes a bit from version to version.

To check that the copies are unique, turn on the display of "File Path" in the library column listing. Are all the paths (and file extensions) the same?
      My OS is Vista Home Premium. I'm using WMP 11. An example of the duplicates I'm seeing under File Path in WMP11 is as follows:

C:\Users\Jeff\Music\Rush\Exit Stage Left\Rush - 02 - Red Barchetta.mp3
      C:\Users\Jeff\Music\Rush\EXITST~1\Rush - 02 - Red Barchetta.mp3

When I remove the album from the WMP library, then click "Add files to library", the 2nd example is no longer there. I just don't know how it got there to begin with and why the album name is different. Also, I'm using the default naming scheme when ripping from dBpoweramp R13.2.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Have a look on the HDD can you see two folders? (although EXITST~1 is the short pathname of Exit Stage Left)
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• texasflood
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Jul 2008

I only saw the one music folder (public folder is empty). I also ran a duplicate file finder and it didn't locate any duplicate music files. Even stranger is that of the last 10 CDs ripped on dB, 5 produced duplicates (in WMP11) on all tracks, 3 produced none, and 2 only the first track was duplicated.

Comment

• hitmouse
            • Dec 2008

While i'm quite prepared to put this down to WMP's general library flakiness, my intuition is that this might be due to some other resident process like your AV software opening these files for inspection and leaving some file namespace artefact that is hanging around longer than normal.

Comment

• Wayne
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Aug 2002

Is WMP running in the background when you create these files and with the option set to automatically scan folder(s) looking for new tracks?

Comment

• texasflood
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
                Have a look on the HDD can you see two folders? (although EXITST~1 is the short pathname of Exit Stage Left)
                I hate sounding ignorant, but I thought only hard drives using FAT 16 or 32 filing systems used short path names, and I use NTFS.

Comment

• texasflood
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by hitmouse
                  While i'm quite prepared to put this down to WMP's general library flakiness, my intuition is that this might be due to some other resident process like your AV software opening these files for inspection and leaving some file namespace artefact that is hanging around longer than normal.
                  I'm currently using AVG (free version), after getting tired of pay $40 - $80 a year for McAfee or TrendMicro. I am 99.9% sure this problem started previous to making that change, but I may try Avast or Anti-Vir just to see if it makes any difference. Although, I do believe AVG has an option not to scan media files.

Comment

• texasflood
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Wayne
                    Is WMP running in the background when you create these files and with the option set to automatically scan folder(s) looking for new tracks?
                    WMP 11 on Vista will not let me turn the folder monitor off. I've tried changing the rip folder (in WMP) to an empty folder, but that didn't work either.

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

NTFS uses short path names internally (they are written to the disc also).
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• DonQ
                        • Jun 2009

I've had similar problems with WMP in Vista Ultimate SP2. I'm new to ripping, so I have ripped some CDs more than one in order to get it right. I'd delete the first set of wma files and rip again. Unbelievably, WMP reads the first set of files out of my recycle bin. Now I shred my recycle bin before ripping a second time. Another problem I've noticed occurs even when using "overwrite" in CD Ripper. WMP duplicates the tracks (library problem?). This is extremely annoying and is making me wonder about WMA. I logged onto the forum to search for comments about good players. This is the first thread I saw.

Comment

• hitmouse
                          • Dec 2008

It's nothing to do with WMA per se which is simply a file format. The WMP software however has been snatching files from the Recycle Bin for several versions. It's a bug that has been reported many times (I've been on a few betas) but never addressed.

If you're playing some of these files after ripping, then you may be seeing the action of the option to add played files to the library irrespective of folder location.

Comment

Working...

]]>