title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Kodak Kiosk. Alive or Dead?

Unhappy Kodak Kiosk. Alive or Dead?

I have a Kodak KDK-1000-04.
    Installed the Prolific driver.
    Drive is visible from Windows Explorer.
    But it is not recognizing an inserted CD: "Please insert a disk" even after disk is inserted
    Is the TEAC drive dead??

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Kodak Kiosk. Alive or Dead?

If you're testing with a known good pressed CD, then:

1. You're using Vista, where it can take up to five minutes for a CD to be recognized due to a bad interaction between the Vista USB Mass Storage driver, the USB-to-IDE bridge, and the Teac drive*. Solutions: use XP instead (easy), replace the drive or bridge (difficult).

2. You're using XP. Try it on another XP machine. If the same symptom remains for this unit, but not other optical drives, then the Teac drive may be bad.

-brendan

* my theory is that the naturally take-your-time-disc-recognition of the Teac drive is longer than Vista expects, so Vista (unlike XP) keeps sending resets to the USB bridge every xx seconds which is less time than the drive needs to recognize the disc. However, this particular USB bridge, unlike others, then forwards on a reset request to the drive (perhaps power/sleep state transition related), which forces the drive to start scanning the disc again from scratch. Repeat, ad nauseum, until some other timeout allows things to work properly, usually after about 3-5 minutes. Classic. In my opinon, since the problem does not occur under XP, I consider this a Vista bug.

Re: Kodak Kiosk. Alive or Dead?

<2. You're using XP. Try it on another XP machine. If the same symptom remains for this unit, but not other optical drives, then the Teac drive may be bad.>

Actually, I was using Win2000. And you were correct, the drive was dead, new unit works fine