title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Set config option to change ratings scale for FLAC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Set config option to change ratings scale for FLAC

I'm a noob at this. I've started ripping to FLAC and I'm using MediaMonkey for library managment. I've run across the same problem a lot of people seem to have: dBPA ratings for FLAC are 1-5, MM uses 1-100, so all ratings turn into "bombs" in MM.

Is there a configuration option that allows the ratings to be "scaled" at time of rip? Input the max value and have all the ratings scaled to that value? I can't find anything in Configuration or Encoder areas.

Alternatively, can I use the ID Tag Processing DSP to achieve this? If so, can anybody point me in the general direction of how I would go about this?

Administrator

Re: Set config option to change ratings scale for FLAC

There is no standard for Rating in FLAC, a 3rd program would be different again... (there is no scale factor for FLAC ratings)

OK, yo comprendez, but:
    1. No way to use the ID Tag Processing?
    2. If the FLAC encoder tab had a "Rating Scale Max" field, couldn't dBPA multiply the ratings by the scale factor so that the user would at least get good ratings for the player of their choice?

PS: Impressive response time and coverage! And nice program!

Administrator

It is not that simple, as I have said another program (perhaps foobar) might store as a different tag value, so until it becomes an official standard, or used on more than one program we cannot specifically support it.

Hi,
    I have the same problem, ripping with dbpoweramp to flac and playing with mediamonkey the ratings are 1-5 but mediamonkey requires 1-100. This is the single biggest drawback to dbpoweramp in my opinion as it means the ratings you take care to enter are useless.
    I do not think it is a satisfactory answer for dbpoweramp to say there is nothing they can do about it. We have all paid good money for the software and they should endeavour to iron out these problems. Surely someone could write a script to go through selected directories and edit the flac rating tag by multiplying it by a factor of 20.
    I have a library of about 35,000 flac files and to go through each one individually would take me weeks. If everybody else using dbpoweramp and mediamonkey has this problem a solution would save many man years and might have a commercial value.
    Someone help please.

Administrator

We take our position of:

(a) Not having enough hours in the day
    (b) have a huge 'to do list' (it is 300 items long!)

If ever there is a standard for ratings and FLAC (two programs use it, Josh (FLAC) or Vorbis Comments define this) then we would implement. Otherwise you are as equal to ask Monkeys Audio to change to 1-10 (which we use internally)