title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Inaccurate length reported - ALAC?

Inaccurate length reported - ALAC?

I have used Dbpoweramp 13.2 Reference to rip a few cds into the Dbpoweramp's version of Apple Lossless, but in Foobar, I have found them all to have the same error reported. Here is a sample of five tracks from separate discs:

Code:
    Item: "C:\~Convert\(EncodeArchive)\Elvis Costello & The Imposters - (2004) The Delivery Man {ALAC}\01 - Button My Lip.m4a"
    Warning: Reported length is inaccurate : 4:54.986304 vs 4:54.920000 decoded

Item: "C:\~Convert\(EncodeArchive)\Charles Mingus - (1965) At UCLA 1965 {ALAC}\1.04 - Meditation On Inner Peace.m4a"
    Warning: Reported length is inaccurate : 0:51.641179 vs 0:51.573333 decoded

Item: "C:\~Convert\(EncodeArchive)\Grandaddy - (2000) The Sophtware Slump {ALAC}\04 - The Crystal Lake.m4a"
    Warning: Reported length is inaccurate : 5:00.187574 vs 5:00.133333 decoded

Item: "C:\~Convert\(EncodeArchive)\The Rolling Stones - (1970) Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! {ALAC}\03 - Stray Cat Blues.m4a"
    Warning: Reported length is inaccurate : 3:45.605079 vs 3:45.600000 decoded

Item: "C:\~Convert\(EncodeArchive)\Various Artists - (1991) Red Hot + Blue; A Tribute To Cole Porter {ALAC}\14 - Thompson Twins - Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.m4a"
    Warning: Reported length is inaccurate : 3:21.363447 vs 3:21.293333 decoded

All items decoded successfully.
    5 items decoded with minor problems.

List of decodable but problematic items:
    "C:\~Convert\(EncodeArchive)\Elvis Costello & The Imposters - (2004) The Delivery Man {ALAC}\01 - Button My Lip.m4a"
    "C:\~Convert\(EncodeArchive)\Charles Mingus - (1965) At UCLA 1965 {ALAC}\1.04 - Meditation On Inner Peace.m4a"
    "C:\~Convert\(EncodeArchive)\Grandaddy - (2000) The Sophtware Slump {ALAC}\04 - The Crystal Lake.m4a"
    "C:\~Convert\(EncodeArchive)\The Rolling Stones - (1970) Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! {ALAC}\03 - Stray Cat Blues.m4a"
    "C:\~Convert\(EncodeArchive)\Various Artists - (1991) Red Hot + Blue; A Tribute To Cole Porter {ALAC}\14 - Thompson Twins - Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.m4a"
    I used iTunesencode.exe as a CLI Encoder option and it didn't have this reported error, and the decoded bitstreams were identical on each file, so there was no issue or file corruption on the encode.

I also used the Batch Encoder to take these five ALAC tracks to transcode to WAV, FLAC, WavPack, Monkey's, and iTunesEncode ALAC, and those were error-free as well.

There is obviously nothing wrong with the audio data itself - could it be a container or tagging issue (or the atoms - I don't really understand those)?

Administrator

Re: Inaccurate length reported - ALAC?

The difference is 2000 samples, perhaps FB is not taking account of the very last frame in the ALAC file?