title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

ID Tag update issues

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xerophyte
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2008

ID Tag update issues

I use the ID Tag update conversion to add album art, when needed, to downloaded music files. This usually adds album art and leaves the rest of the tags untouched.
    Today, without me altering any settings, the same conversion is wiping ALL tags (for one particular file). Even when I decided to clear and re create the tags for an album (this has sometimes been necessary with iTunes tags which can be very persistent) I end up with no tags.
    This has left me adding album art to individual tags, which is a little tedious. The convert option added album art for a whole album in 2 to 4 seconds in most cases, manually it takes a lot longer than that.
    What is going on?:(
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: ID Tag update issues

m4a files?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• xerophyte
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • May 2008

No, they are all mp3.
      Interestingly the tags are v1.1 and v2, not v2.3.
      I did do a DSP conversion to bring them up to v2.3, in case they were only v1.1 but only got v2. Not sure if that helps
      Last edited by xerophyte; 05-19-2009, 11:47 AM. Reason: Extra info

Comment

• Wayne
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Aug 2002

Do you know what program created the original id tags in these downloaded files?

I have only seen this happen with v2.4 tags.

Comment

• xerophyte
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • May 2008

Hi Wayne,
          Often the apps that do the encoding for mp3 (or whatever codec is used) leave their name on the tags. This one prefers to remain anonymous. What is really surprising is that I can't even clear all the tags, re create them and then do an ID Tag update adding album art. It is like some invisible process at work. I don't think it is DRM as I have been able to copy them from the download folder, or does DRM prevent making a copy to disc? I don't know.

Comment

• xerophyte
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • May 2008

This problem is now affecting other downloaded files.
            The one that it has just messed with was originally ripped, and I assume tagged, by EAC. I hope that makes sense to someone, I am kind of confused.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Right click on one of these files (pre ID Tag Update) >> Edit Tag, can dBpoweramp display the ID Tags?
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• xerophyte
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • May 2008

Hi Spoon,
                I have looked at the original downloaded file, the one that prompted my last post, and ... if I right click and select Edit ID Tag I can see the tags. Also, if I mouse over the track I get the dBpoweramp "bubble" with the tag information.
                This set of files has ID3 v2.3 and v1.1 tags.
                Does that make anything clearer? I am still bemused by the tags that say they are v2, this I think was done by dBpoweramp.
                Interested to hear your thoughts.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

You could send one of those files to me (pre ID Tag Update and after)
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• xerophyte
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • May 2008

Hi Spoon,
                    I can send the files to you, just not quite sure if I can send them as attachments to a post. If you pm me with an email address I will use that.
                    Just to update you on what is happening here ... not having heard anything for a while I went in to the ID Tag update settings and set the deletions to remove all but track, title, artist, album and year - and it removed all tags from another download.:headbang:
                    I am presently considering uninstalling dBpoweramp and reinstalling, or using ERUNT to reset my computer to before the tag issue reared it's ugly head. I will hold off on both till I hear from you.
                    Just to clarify, the files downloaded have the ID3v2 and so do the ones I have copied. I think I may have gotten frustrated and left the tags as they were, or ID Tag update had no effect. Once you get the files you can play with them.
                    Again, I would appreciate your opinion. :D

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Here is our email:

Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• xerophyte
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • May 2008

Files sent as requested, look forward to any suggestions.

Comment

• xerophyte
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • May 2008

Spoon has advised by email that the tags on the downloaded files are ID3v2.4, "which dbpoweramp cannot read, it also has a id3v2.3 tag before the 2.4 tag. This is causing the problems."
                          So what do I do?
                          This has affected the ability of dBpoweramp to edit other tags, I now can only add album art track by track otherwise all tags are erased, which is a bit of a pain frankly.:(
                          Can we expect an update of dBpoweramp that will be able to read and edit ID3 v2.4 tags?

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

dBpoweramp can remove the ID3v2.3 tag, which will bring the 2.4 tag to the front of the file, then another 2.4 compatible tagging program would have to be used to remove those.
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• xerophyte
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • May 2008

Hi Spoon,
                              How do I do that, precisely?
                              And what other tag editor do you suggest, I am (or was) quite happy with dMC, don't really want to have to use another app. I was trialling Tag & Rename when I heard about dMC, despite the 30 page pdf manual it was hard getting it to do what the screenshots showed. When I tried dMC it was love at first sight. This app worked, intuitively, and did a whole lot more than Tag & Rename ever promised for less $ I didn't wait the 30 days, just paid the asking price and told all my friends.
                              Will we be getting a ID3 v2.4 capable update sometime soon?
                              We need to be in the vanguard here!

Comment

Working...

]]>