title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Converting 5.1 to 2.0

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DS-user
    • Jan 2009

Converting 5.1 to 2.0

I am using the program DVDA-Explorer to rip DVD-Audio discs to wav and is then using the DMC to convert to flac.
    Only being interested in the highres 2.0 tracks, the DVDA-Explorer program works really nice when there is a 2channel track on the disc.

However, not all DVD-Audios have a 2channel track. The once that only have a 5.1 track can be downmixed to 2.0 on the fly when ripping by the DVDA-Explorer program.
    But not all.
    A few discs are giving me problems. From about 50 discs, there is only 2 that DVDA-Explorer refuses to do its own downmix from 5.1 to 2.0.
    Those discs can only be ripped into 5.1 wavs.

I was hoping that DMC could fuse those together as 2.0, and i suspect that it has something to do with the channel mapper function.

If someone could guide me in how to do this i would be very greatful.
  • Jeff Flowerday
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Mar 2008

Re: Converting 5.1 to 2.0

Take a look at eac3to it has the ability to downmix 5.1 -> 2.0 as well. Just google it.

On a side note I didn't like the results of downmixing 5.1 -> 2.0 it didn't sound very good to me.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Or even use the simple Channel Count, DSP and it will down-mix.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• DS-user
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Spoon
        Was the first thing i tried, but the result sounds strange. It is as if the volume for the rear channels are being mixed in at 20% of the volume it should have.
        The volume is so low that it might even be so that those channels are lacking in the mix.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

The volume has to be reduced somewhere otherwise you have a serious chance of clipping (like pouring 5 cups of water into 2), but you could use the Channel Mapper to reduce the volumes as you require.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• DS-user
            • Jan 2009

The volume has to be reduced somewhere otherwise you have a serious chance of clipping (like pouring 5 cups of water into 2), but you could use the Channel Mapper to reduce the volumes as you require.
            Comparing to the standard cd-rip, one can hear that certain instruments are almost gone from the presentation. The overall volume is about the same.

And as i cant get my head around how to handle the channel mapper, we are back to me wanting an understandable tutorial.

The helpsection does not make me understand how to do this.

Comment

• Kiwi
              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by DS-user
              I am using the program DVDA-Explorer to rip DVD-Audio discs to wav and is then using the DMC to convert to flac. Only being interested in the highres 2.0 tracks....

....about 50 discs....
              Curious as to why you aren't interested in ripping your 5.1 DVD-Audio discs so you can play them back on 5.1 systems? Most DVD-Audio discs have a DD or DTS mix that you can rip and playback on some digital systems e.g. Slimdevices/Logitech

Comment

• docles
                • Dec 2009

Hello, I have use that :
                - from a 5.1, I just selected 1 and 2 channels.

But, there is missing music (the singer is not really there).

I tried eac3to with only -down2 option. There is the singer back but the loss in quality is too high.

So is there a downmix setup with Music Converter in order to rearrange the 6 channnels in 2 ?

Thanks for your help.

Docles

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

Often the issue with 5.1 to 2 is volume, it is reduced to keep the track from clipping, but this does not work well for certain 5.1, so you can use channel mapper and try your own volume mappings, or even set the bit depth to floating point and normalize later on before back to 16 bit.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>