title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batch Converter Freezes

Batch Converter Freezes

Hi -

First off, great product, and I have been using it for some time. Registered user, have the newest version 13.2

I had to manually shut down the computer one time and ever since I can very predictably freeze Batch Converter. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, and it still makes no difference.

Here's what happens: open Batch Converter, select drive (ok), select folder (ok), select sub-folder with files either by clicking on the box or the plus sign - Batch Converter freezes every time.

No problem with Music Converter, CDWriter, just Batch Converter.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Administrator

Re: Batch Converter Freezes

Try removing some of the column headers (such as bitrate).

Nope - still freezes. I removed all the column headers except for artist and album and it still freezes.

The tag near the system tray says "reading metadata", but it never recovers. When I click on the X to close the program it tells me "Program Not Responding"

Bob

Administrator

Are there audio files in that folder? you are selecting.

Yes - there are audio files inside the folder.

I just tried again, and it also makes no difference what type of file they are - MP3, FLAC, etc. No matter which folder I choose Batch Converter freezes.

Whoa! This is interesting! I just tried Batch Converter on another *drive* and it works just fine. So it appears that Batch Converter has some problem accessing the folders on that specific drive. It can recognize the drive, open the primary folder, but when you get to the level of the folder that contains the files it freezes.

Any idea why it would not work on one drive and not another?

Thx -

Administrator

Should be no difference which drive it is on, if you were to copy those audio files (in that exact folder you are checking) to the 2nd drive, does it work? I am thinking that one audio file might have problems which is causing the program to halt.

Unfortunately the size of the drives and the quantities of folders/files prohibits me copying them over to try what you suggest. The drive I'm having problems with with Batch Converter contains my entire music library.

Since the problem exists with any folder on the drive holding music files, wouldn't it be an indexing problem on that drive? I understand that this is really no longer a dbPowerAmp problem, but is there a way to re-index a drive?

Also funny that Batch Converter shows the problem but Music Converter doesn't. Do they access the files differently?

Thx -

dBpoweramp Guru

how many files are you trying to process?

Are you trying to check the highest parent folder, or one of the lower sub-folders?

Let me re-state the problem:

Let's say I have a folder that has audio files to convert on the drive that holds my music library. Doesn't matter which folder, doesn't matter what file type. I boot Batch Converter, choose the drive (ok so far), choose the directory (still ok so far), then pick *any* folder that contains audio files to convert. If I either click on the box next to the folder name or click on the plus sign, Batch Converter freezes. Again - I can pick any file folder in the directory and the result is the same. I am trying to process only a CD's worth of files at a time - 12-15 songs per folder. A folder - as I'm defining it - contains the songs from a single CD. The directory is "Music Library" and each folder is either an artist or a CD name. So K:Music Library/ is ok, but K:Music Library/Bob Dylan = freeze or K:Music Library/GDHartford5-28-77 = freeze. So these are the lowest sub-folders above the files themselves.

If I try to convert audio files that happen to be in a folder on another disk drive, Batch Converter works just fine.

The drive with my music library on it is a 500GB external USB Western Digital drive with 321GB used. The specific directory in which the folders with audio files resides contains 722 folders holding 14,181 files comprising 194GB of data.

Hope this helps. No one answered my question about some way to re-index the drive, though.

Thx -
    Last edited by rougaroo; 04-14-2009 at 09:55 PM. Reason: clarity

Administrator

Create a new folder:

Music\Test

Try first with no files in there, try adding 1 wave file, does it freeze?

Sorry - been traveling on business away from the home computer and couldn't try this.

Ok - created a new folder on the drive in question labeled Music with a subfolder labeled Test. Closed Explorer. Started Batch Converter, clicked on drive - all folders showed up, including Music. Clicked on Music, Test showed up. Clicked on box next to Test and (yea!) the boxes showed they were selected.

Closed Batch Converter, opened Explorer. Copied .wav file from another directory to Music/Test. Double-clicked file inside Music/Test to ensure it copied correctly and played. It did. Opened Batch Converter and selected drive. All folders opened. Clicked on Music, revealed Test. Clicked on box next to Test as before - .wav file did not show up on right screen even though the Music folder box and the Test box showed the files had been selected. Attempted conversion anyway, Batch Converter says "No files selected".

Bob
    Last edited by rougaroo; 04-19-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: clarity

Administrator

Which windows version do you have?

Win XP, service pack 3, build 2600.
    Intel dual-core x-86 family chip running @ ~3000mHz
    3GB of RAM

Bob

Administrator

Follow the instructions here:

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=13285

To remove dbpoweramp fully, then reboot Windows and reinstall.