title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Ripping is slow (4x) and C2 error pointers will not work...

Unhappy Ripping is slow (4x) and C2 error pointers will not work...

I apologize if this has already been answered somewhere, but I'm a noob to the forum (and in general) and could not find a solution.

After following all the instruction for setting up CD Ripper with secure rip, I attempted to rip a mint CD, however the drive only ripped at a slow speed of 4x (a few tries it did go at 18x if another program had spun up the drive), and changing the spin up time did not help. Furthermore, if I enabled C2 error pointers, the first track received nearly 2000 errors, which if I had the limits off it would very slowly work through. Otherwise if the limit was at 100, it would finish the track, have status of error, and fail to initiate the second track.... the only way to exit would be to kill the program from task manager.

Both of my drives (HL-DT-ST: BDDVDRW GGC-H20L and HL-DT-ST : DVDRAM GH20NS10) experienced this problem, and both are much faster and should have C2 error pointers.

This seems like it would be an excellent product for exactly what I need, but I have wasted tons of time trying to get it to work properly, to no avail..... any help would be greatly appreciated, hopefully it's something simple and I'm just a clueless idiot :o:p

Sorry for the super long post... I just wanted to include all the info...

Note: Both drives are working in DMA mode 5

Re: Ripping is slow (4x) and C2 error pointers will not work...

If it's useful, here is the text from the logfile of trying to rip my good condition CD with the different settings:

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

dBpoweramp Release 13.2 Digital Audio Extraction Log from April-04-09 5:47 AM

Drive & Settings
    ----------------

Ripping with drive 'E: [HL-DT-ST - BDDVDRW GGC-H20L]', Drive offset: 667, Overread Lead-in/out: No
    AccurateRip: Active, Using C2: Yes, Cache: 39 KB, FUA Cache Invalidate: No
    Pass 1 Drive Speed: Max, Pass 2 Drive Speed: Max
    Bad Sector Re-rip:: Drive Speed: Max, Maximum Re-reads: 34

Encoder: FLAC -compression-level-6 -verify

Extraction Log
    --------------

Track 1: Ripped LBA 0 to 11249 (2:29) in 0:33. Filename: C:\My Lossless Music\FLAC\Coldplay\Viva la Vida\Coldplay - 01 - Life in Technicolor.flac
    AccurateRip: Inaccurate (confidence 200) Insecure [Pass 1, Re-Rip 1152 Frames]
    CRC32: 85249F7A AccurateRip CRC: 99EFB6AE [DiscID: 010-000ffad4-0083e277-800ac10a-1]
    ** Aborted: Have to ReRip 1152 Frames, Re-Rip Limit Set to 100 Frames

====================

dBpoweramp Release 13.2 Digital Audio Extraction Log from April-04-09 6:26 AM

Drive & Settings
    ----------------

Ripping with drive 'E: [HL-DT-ST - BDDVDRW GGC-H20L]', Drive offset: 667, Overread Lead-in/out: No
    AccurateRip: Active, Using C2: No, Cache: 2048 KB, FUA Cache Invalidate: No
    Pass 1 Drive Speed: Max, Pass 2 Drive Speed: Max
    Bad Sector Re-rip:: Drive Speed: Max, Maximum Re-reads: 34

Encoder: FLAC -compression-level-6 -verify

Extraction Log
    --------------

Track 1: Ripped LBA 0 to 11249 (2:29) in 0:32. Filename: C:\My Lossless Music\FLAC\Coldplay\Viva la Vida\Coldplay - 01 - Life in Technicolor.flac
    AccurateRip: Accurate (confidence 200) [Pass 1]
    CRC32: 529262A3 AccurateRip CRC: 6D1E6D0F [DiscID: 010-000ffad4-0083e277-800ac10a-1]

Track 2: Ripped LBA 11249 to 26332 (3:21) in 0:39. Filename: C:\My Lossless Music\FLAC\Coldplay\Viva la Vida\Coldplay - 02 - Cemeteries of London.flac
    CRC32: FD128841 AccurateRip CRC: 99553626 [DiscID: 010-000ffad4-0083e277-800ac10a-2]

Track 3: Ripped LBA 26332 to 43962 (3:55) in 0:42. Filename: C:\My Lossless Music\FLAC\Coldplay\Viva la Vida\Coldplay - 03 - Lost!.flac
    CRC32: A55B8CFF AccurateRip CRC: 2E1AB03A [DiscID: 010-000ffad4-0083e277-800ac10a-3]

Track 4: Ripped LBA 43962 to 61767 (3:57) in 0:39. Filename: C:\My Lossless Music\FLAC\Coldplay\Viva la Vida\Coldplay - 04 - 42.flac
    CRC32: F570E444 AccurateRip CRC: 5C113DFF [DiscID: 010-000ffad4-0083e277-800ac10a-4]

Track 5: Ripped LBA 61767 to 92593 (6:51) in 1:02. Filename: C:\My Lossless Music\FLAC\Coldplay\Viva la Vida\Coldplay - 05 - Lovers in Japan-Reign of Love.flac
    CRC32: 0575022D AccurateRip CRC: 33D35EF3 [DiscID: 010-000ffad4-0083e277-800ac10a-5]

Track 6: Ripped LBA 92593 to 124592 (7:06) in 0:58. Filename: C:\My Lossless Music\FLAC\Coldplay\Viva la Vida\Coldplay - 06 - Yes.flac
    CRC32: 751D9841 AccurateRip CRC: 0DDBA93F [DiscID: 010-000ffad4-0083e277-800ac10a-6]

Track 7: Ripped LBA 124592 to 142699 (4:01) in 0:31. Filename: C:\My Lossless Music\FLAC\Coldplay\Viva la Vida\Coldplay - 07 - Viva la Vida.flac
    CRC32: 2BEE37DD AccurateRip CRC: 3353CA84 [DiscID: 010-000ffad4-0083e277-800ac10a-7]

Track 8: Ripped LBA 142699 to 159398 (3:42) in 0:27. Filename: C:\My Lossless Music\FLAC\Coldplay\Viva la Vida\Coldplay - 08 - Violet Hill.flac
    CRC32: EE08C0E3 AccurateRip CRC: DE532170 [DiscID: 010-000ffad4-0083e277-800ac10a-8]

Track 9: Ripped LBA 159398 to 178123 (4:09) in 0:29. Filename: C:\My Lossless Music\FLAC\Coldplay\Viva la Vida\Coldplay - 09 - Strawberry Swing.flac
    CRC32: DF1A2C8A AccurateRip CRC: A005EBC1 [DiscID: 010-000ffad4-0083e277-800ac10a-9]

Track 10: Ripped LBA 178123 to 206537 (6:18) in 0:42. Filename: C:\My Lossless Music\FLAC\Coldplay\Viva la Vida\Coldplay - 10 - Death and All His Friends.flac
    CRC32: 63B42D06 AccurateRip CRC: 3D6C75F8 [DiscID: 010-000ffad4-0083e277-800ac10a-10]

--------------

10 Tracks Ripped Accurately

I've got the HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L as well. In my tests it shows that FUA is supported. Try to test/activate FUA for this drive, then it should be a bit faster. In general this dive is not very good at reading problematic discs (at least in the tests I made).
    A CD with no scratches does not necessarily mean that it is 100% OK.
    I do as well have some CDs that look perfectly (no scratches and so on) but are difficult/impossible to rip secure (result is an inaccurate rip) even with some very good drives.
    Example - one of my problematic tracks:
    PLEXTOR PX-716A: Re-Rip 9 Frames (5 insecure)
    ATAPI-CD - ROM-DRIVE-52MAX (Acer label on drive): Re-Rip 9 Frames (2 insecure)
    HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L: Re-Rip ~2400 Frames
    HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L : Re-Rip 113 Frames

Edit:
    Not to say (with this post) that the PLEXTOR PX-716A or the Acer are the one best drives - with other problem tracks I have other drives give better results. So there is no one best drive.
    Last edited by BugsBunny; 04-04-2009 at 09:40 AM.

Administrator

Only plextors should really have FUA activated (to be on the safe side).

Thanks for the info. I did test all my drives with cache for FUA support within dbpoweramp. Did not know that it should (to be on the safe side) only be activated for (true) Plextor drives.
    But anyway for ripping I mostly used Plextor drives or some other with no cache...

It's a little disappointing to find out these drives are poor rippers, cuz I did a lot of research before I purchased them, and they both scored very well all round, definitely above average..... that's why I chose them :(

I don't quite get why the C2 won't work even though it should, and I manually set the cache at 4096 KB since that's what the drives specs are, even though dBpoweramp detects it at 39KB.... that shouldn't be a problem right?

And as for the speed of ripping, clearly it is capable of ripping at higher speeds, it did it at 18x+ a few times when the drive was spun up by another program right before I started ripping. But most of the time, when it's just dBpoweramp, it seems it doesn't control the drive speed at all and just rips at the 4x the drive was at to begin with....... any advice at all on how to remedy this specifically? I figure I can live without C2 error pointers, but I have a huge collection to rip, and the difference between 4x and 18x+ makes a HUGE difference....

Thanks for all the replies so far!:D

Well the HL-DT-ST: BDDVDRW GGC-H20 is a drive I definitely would not use to rip my entire collection. I've a lot of different drives around and did a quick test with all the drives. Audio ripping does not seem to be the strength of the HL-DT-ST: BDDVDRW GGC-H20. Even the BluRay burner version works better than this BluRay reader combo drive.
    At least C2 works for me under XP SP3 with the drive (I use AHCI mode with this drive).

About your other drive the HL-DT-ST : DVDRAM GH20NS10 I can say nothing.
    Did you try different CDs? Does the problem persist on different CDs?
    And your other drive the HL-DT-ST : DVDRAM GH20NS10, have you got the same problem with it?

You could get some other drive to rip your collection. The TSSTcorp - CDDVDW SH-S203D works quite well (I could rip some difficult CDs where I had some problem with other drives), or some older Plextors on ebay would be an option as well.
    Maybe have a look here also:
    http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=18088

If you have got a huge collection to rip, a good drive is a good investment. And good drives do not have to be expensive. (For example, the SH-S203D is cheaper than the BluRay combo and is a better ripping drive for sure)

Enabling C2 is a problem with both drives and any CD I try with them, which is what led me to believe there is some sort of compatibility issue going on, whether with Vista 64 or with options I have set up.

Another reason leading me to believe my issues are caused by dBpoweramp compatibility problems is because the drive actually scores quite well for ripping pressed audio CDs (speed and quality if I'm not mistaken) in professional reviews. It doesn't make sense to me that the drive could score reasonably well in these tests but then turn out to be horrible (and lacking C2 capability for some reason) with dBpoweramp, unless it's a compatibility issue, or I have configured my drives improperly...

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/LG-G...rformance.html

http://www.cdrlabs.com/Reviews/lg-gg...e-CD-Read.html

I ran my own Nero CD Speed, and Nero InfoTool tests, and it confirmed these results, and it said accurate stream and C2 error pointer was supported, with a DAE quality of 10...

I have no issue buying a new good drive, but what's nagging me is it would seem I should already have one..... and if it isn't actually good, I'd at least like to know why so I can avoid having this problem again on my next purchase.

As I said before, I did achieve those reported read speeds with dBpoweramp, but only when another program (Cyberlink Power DVD 8 or Nero, etc) issued the command to the drive to spin up to max RPM, and then dBpoweramp could maintain the speed while doing the rip if I initiated it while the drive was at that speed. I'm wondering if there's any way I can somehow get dBpoweramp to issue the necessary command.... I really don't see why it's unable to in the first place.... Even if I need to manually enter a line of code in the program I would love to be able to fix this....

Sorry for persisting on this, but the whole issue of the C2 error pointers not working and the drives not spinning up properly leads me to believe dBpoweramp is not communicating with either of my drives properly....

The ggc-h20l drive firmware is up to date, at version 1.03

Thanks again for all the help

Well, I did some more experimenting, and I solved my drive speed issue. :smile2:

Apparently I had been setting my drive read speed in dBpoweramp to the setting of 'maximum' while I had a DVD in the drive. Then when I would put a CD to be ripped, the drive spun as if it was reading a DVD at maximum (which is actually the RPM's to read a CD at only 10x... what I had been getting). So all I had to do was change the setting to 40x when there was a CD in the drive, and now it seems to work at the proper speed..... Stupid me on that one I guess :p

Also, the drive seems to complete a rip with C2 error pointers enabled now, however, it tells me there is an AccurateRip confidence of around '140' and thousands of frames need to be re-ripped for every track.... I am rather skeptical about this, as when C2 error pointers were disabled, the rip was determined 'secure' for every track with an AccurateRip confidence of '200'!

Is it reasonable to think this drive's C2 error pointers and dBpoweramp just don't mix? Or is my drive really THAT bad? I tend not to think so, especially after the positive reviews it seemed to have and the fact that AccurateRip says it's fine with a rating of 200 when C2 is off.....

I'm assuming if the AccurateRip confidence is 200 it means my rip was identical to the vast majority of rips in its database? Or does it mean that my rip didn't detect many errors (which without C2 might not mean much)?

Thanks again!

Administrator

It is difficult to say what is going on, 1000's of frames re-ripping mean either c2 failed, or the accurate stream failed.

Well, since with C2 off it seems not to have problems, and the tracks sound just fine, I will proceed that way and hope for the best. The advantages and time saving of using dBpoweramp over other methods are immense, and I'm sure the rips will be just fine, better than if I used iTunes to do the rips to Apple Lossless. Thanks all for your time, and I'd love to hear any more ideas or anyone elses thoughts on the issue.

Sorry to revive this old post.
    I think I found the C2 error problem of these BD drives.
    I've exchanged my motherboard to a newer one that supports AHCI.
    While on the old motherboard that did not support AHCI thus ran the sata ports in IDE mode the HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L was running fine.
    Now on the new motherboard I do have AHCI enabled and the HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L does seem to have the same problem the HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GGC-H20L has got on another motherboard where it was always running in AHCI mode.

So the conclusion is, running these drives on a SATA port in AHCI mode the C2 feature will not work correctly and report a lot of frames that are OK as frames with errors.

Question is what is causing this?
    My PLEXTOR PX-716AS runs just fine in AHCI mode as it does in IDE mode.
    Maybe it's a bug in the firmware of these LG BD drives?

Administrator

It could be the Motherboard chipset also.