title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flac to WMA Lossless Results in Errors on Every Attempted track.

Flac to WMA Lossless Results in Errors on Every Attempted track.

Not sure what's going on here, but I've tried to convert two complete albums and every track reports a failed verification. I'm completely new to converting flac to anything, and haven't done much since ripping cds to mp3 via cdex and the mad decoder back in the napster days, so any help or direction is appreciated.

I've checked updates as per the FAQ and have the flac and wma codecs installed. The flac files are roughly around 20-40MB's each and the WMA-L files are around 100-130MB each. I tag my files with Media Monkey. When converting I've had the settings at VBR Quality 100, 96 kHz, 2 Channel 24 bit VBR, and After Encoding Verify Audio.

Thanks!

Re: Flac to WMA Lossless Results in Errors on Every Attempted track.

I tried converting at 48 kHz with debug mode on and still failed verification. Not sure if there's anything useful in the debug output but see below if so.

Code:
    Splitting Command Line:Done
    ->->  [dBCoreConverter::ReaddBCommandFile]
    <-<-  [dBCoreConverter::ReaddBCommandFile]
    ->->  [cldBCodecHandler::FindDecoder]
        Checking Decoder 'C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\decoder\FLAC.dll' for extension '.flac'
    Decodes  [clDecoder::Get]
      <<< Match, using decoder
      Using Registry Cached Decoder: C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\decoder\FLAC.dll
    ->->  [clDecoder::Close]
    <-<-  [clDecoder::Close]
    <-<-  [cldBCodecHandler::FindDecoder]
    BatchID  [clDecoder::Set]
    ->->  [cldBCodecHandler::LoadEncoder]
      Loading Encoder 'C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\encoder\Windows Media Audio 10.DLL'
    <-<-  [cldBCodecHandler::LoadEncoder]
    BatchID  [clEncoder::Set]
    ->->  [dBCoreConverter::StripCoreConverterCmds]
    <-<-  [dBCoreConverter::StripCoreConverterCmds]
    SendRawUnCompressed  [clEncoder::Get]
    Communicate  [clDecoder::Get]
    Communicate  [clEncoder::Get]
    NeedHQAudio  [clEncoder::Get]
    ->->  [clDecoder::Open]
      Opening file 'E:\Music\flac\Natalie Imbruglia\Counting Down the Days\04 - Counting Down the Days.flac' for read access: Opened
      Init FLAC: 
      Reading Meta Data: 
       contained 9 tags:
    			TITLE: Counting Down the Days
    			ARTIST: Natalie Imbruglia
    			ALBUM: Counting Down the Days
    			GENRE: Pop
    			COMMENT: Track 4
    			Label: Sony Bmg Europe
    			Track: 4
    			Year: 2005
    			ALBUM ARTIST: Natalie Imbruglia
      ->->  [clDecoder::ReadIDTags]
      <-<-  [clDecoder::ReadIDTags]
      ->->  [clDecoder::FillAudioProps]
    	Encoder: FLAC reference libFLAC 1.2.0 20070715
    	Sample Count: 10,999,128
    	ID Tag: Vorbis Comments
    	Contains: CRC, ID Tag [Vorbis Comments]
      <-<-  [clDecoder::FillAudioProps]
      ->->  [clDecoder::FillAudioInfo]
        Uncompressed WFX (sent to db): Format Tag: 1  Channels: 2  Bits per Sample: 16  Samples Per Second: 44100  Bytes Per Second: 176400  Block Align: 4  CB Size: 0
        Audio Length: 249413 mili-seconds  32435838 bytes  1411 kbps
      <-<-  [clDecoder::FillAudioInfo]
      Creating Decode Buffers: Created
    <-<-  [clDecoder::Open]
    SendOverReplayGainTags  [clEncoder::Get]
    ->->  [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
      Converting to 'E:\Music\flac\Natalie Imbruglia\Counting Down the Days\04 - Counting Down the Days.wma' encoder settings ' -codec="Windows Media Audio 9.2 Lossless" -settings="VBR Quality 100, 48 kHz, 2 channel 24 bit VBR" -vbr -verify'
      Creating WMA Writer
      Creating WMA Profile Manager
      Creating Empty WMA Profile
      Adding Audio Stream
      Initializing Converter
      Setting Profile
      Setting Output Filename
      Setting Input Format Type
      Begining Writing
    <-<-  [clEncoder::BeginConversion]
    Encoding To: Windows Media Audio 10
    Encoder Cmd Line:  -codec="Windows Media Audio 9.2 Lossless" -settings="VBR Quality 100, 48 kHz, 2 channel 24 bit VBR" -vbr -verify
    ============= CONVERSION BEGIN =============
    ============= CONVERSION END =============
    ->->  [dBCoreConverter::CloseDecoder]
    ->->  [clEncoder::EndConversion]
      Destroying Writer
      Destroying Profile
      Destroying Profile Manager
    *** Error: Error audio file failed verification 'E:\Music\flac\Natalie Imbruglia\Counting Down the Days\04 - Counting Down the Days.wma'.
    <-<-  [clEncoder::EndConversion]
      ->->  [dBCoreConverter::IDTagWriter]
        ->->  [cldBCodecHandler::FindDecoder]
            Checking Decoder 'C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\decoder\Windows Media Audio.dll' for extension '.wma'
    Decodes  [clDecoder::Get]
          <<< Match, using decoder
          Using Registry Cached Decoder: C:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp\decoder\Windows Media Audio.dll
        <-<-  [cldBCodecHandler::FindDecoder]
    IDTags  [clDecoder::Set]
    ->->  [clDecoder::WriteIDTags]
    <-<-  [clDecoder::WriteIDTags]
      <-<-  [dBCoreConverter::IDTagWriter]
      Conversion completed in 14.9 seconds x16 realtime encoding

Alright, I got it working. Though if someone can explain why it is working and why I'm getting the error I'd be greatly appreciated.

When I convert at the same sample rate and size as the source flac file I do not get the error. When I convert at a higher sample rate and/or size I do. What causes this?

Thanks again

Administrator

Thanks, I had read through that post and really hadn't understood how that related to what I was experiencing. There are no bad files that are being reproduced poorly. It's when I convert a flac file to wma-l at a higher sample size or rate.

If I convert to the same size and rate it verifys fine.

That it doesn't verify makes a sort of sense (as I'm changing something), but considering both files are lossless I don't see why converting a flac file at 44 kHz and 16 bit to one that's 96 kHz and 24 bits should throw up an error.

At this point I'm ready to write it off as irrelevant and upconvert all of my files for the sake of simplicity as I don't want to down convert any of my files if they happen to be from HDCD sources and I want to give my files the highest chance of sounding their best in mediocre equipment as per, uh, your audio guides :smile2: (which were great help by the way).

Thanks.

Administrator

Does it always fail the verification? when upsampling? (if so, then sorry my link was wrong, not htat problem, but rather the verification routine not expecting the data to change for lossless).

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Does it always fail the verification? when upsampling? (if so, then sorry my link was wrong, not htat problem, but rather the verification routine not expecting the data to change for lossless).
    No worries on the link. As far as I've tested, every file I've upsampled has reported a failed verification. Whereas everyone I've converted at the same sample rate and set has passed verification. I'll test some more here in a bit.

If it's a possible bug I'll be glad to help do some more testing, but after further reading (for 360 and zune compatibility) I'll probably be converting to 48 kHz or keeping 44 and setting the sample set 24 bit. So maybe that wont be cause a verification error?

Anyway, thanks for the follow-up.

Just did a half-dozen more. All from the same album and same source. Consistently if I up sample it fails verification. If I maintain the sample rate it passes.

Is this a unique problem? Something that normally doesn't happen, or do most people simple just keep the same sample rate?

Administrator

The question does arise, why are you converting to 96KHz? when the source is 44KHz

I am converting from .flac - ALAC (.mp4) on XP. The files are 24/96. About 75% of time i get: "error audio file failed verification." The converted files still show up in the library and play, but i question if the lossless conversion is complete and proper.

Can you advise on the question above and how this can be prevented going forward?

Thanks!

Administrator

The WMA Lossless files have missing samples on the end, until Microsoft fix this outstanding bug (4 years and counting now), nothing can be done.

I am not sure of how WMA Lossless fits here - i am converting between .Flac and .mp4.

Thanks

I am not sure of how WMA Lossless fits here - i am converting between .Flac and .mp4.

Thanks

I refer back to my original message on 4/23 with regard to "error audio file verification failed." I see the reply on WMA Lossless but don't see how it fits but assume it is relevant.

I think the key question is with regard to the failed verification. Should i interpret this to mean Db Poweramp is unable to perfectly convert from FLAC to ALAC and such conversation will not be possible until Microsoft fixes a particular bug (as referenced in Spoon's reply)?

Administrator

Disregard my previous post, I though it was WMA (as this thread is about wma).

You are not using any DSP effects?