title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

PLEASE HELP! New with this and trying to convert Mp3s properly to 96kps?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AJM Ruler
    • Mar 2009

PLEASE HELP! New with this and trying to convert Mp3s properly to 96kps?

Hello all!

So I recently purchased dBpoweramp Music Converter, and I thought I knew the program decently. I wanted to compress my mp3s so that I could get more space out of my 4gb mp3 player.

I had the free trial a couple months ago and plunged into the full version. At first, I proceeded to compress my first 145 mp3 music files to 96kps. The original songs all varies from 128kps-320kps.

I am not picky about sound quality as I can't even tell the difference between 96kps and 320kps. So this is not a matter for me.

When I go to "Convert to" and proceed to do these things. I kept all the settings the same, using Mp3 Lame, keeping the encoding normal. The only thing I changed during the conversion was the Bit Rate (CBR) to 96kps. This had worked originally for my free trial so I did this again.

When the files are finished compressing, everything seemed alright. The bit rate changed to 96kps and the size was reduced to my satisfaction....the only problem was when I play the song.

This could be a common thing that I am just not getting, but all the songs I compressed now play a static sound and nothing more. It is like listening to a bad tv channel, which sucks.

What am I doing wrong? The worst part is now I can't seem to find my original music files, I think I may have over-rode them with the bad compressed ones. Is this static sound permanent, or can I fix this and still get the 96kps bit rate?

Thanks in Advance!
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: PLEASE HELP! New with this and trying to convert Mp3s properly to 96kps?

If these original mp3 files all came from the same source and if you used the dMC interface, I believe that if you open Music onverter that it will open the folder from which files were last converted. So I would start by looking there and by putting the mouse over one file at a time you should be able to see if any of your original files are still there. The possibilities are that those files are still there, that you have duplicate files in the same folder (some with the original higher bitrates and some with the 96 kbs bitrate), or that you set dMC to delete source files after conversion (in which case the only files will be the 96 kbs mp3 files).

If you only see the 96 kbs files, then I would guard against the possibility that dMC had gotten reset to a different location. I would recommend surfing My Computer down to the folder where your music files were stored to see if you can find the original files there.

As for the static, the question would be whether the static was in the converted file or was a product of the player. If the static appears when you play the files on the computer, then it is likely that the problem is with the files (although I would try to play some other music files just to make sure you don't have a problem with your sound system (like a loose speaker wire, this has been known to happen). If the static is in the compressed file itself, you are probably cooked. You might want to check the frequency, bit rate and channel settings of some of the staticky mp3 tracks.

Those are the ideas that occur to me. Perhaps some others might have some other recommendations.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

Working...

]]>