title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Replacing Special Characters in file name

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Replacing Special Characters in file name

In this thread (http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...ters*post60538) Spoon says that the ability to simply remove special characters from file names (which eveidently existed in v11.5) will be available in v13. Can somebody tell me where this feature is? How do I set/configure it?

Thanks,

Re: Replacing Special Characters in file name

I think it does it by default and there isn't a way to modify it, but I'm not sure.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by LtData View Post
    I think it does it by default and there isn't a way to modify it, but I'm not sure.
    I do not think that is true.

What it seems to do here is to do automatic replacement with predefined replacement characters. This is exsactly what the OP in the referenced thread was complaining about. In response to this Spoon (again in the referenced thread) stated that it (the ability to simply remove special characters) which was removed in version 12 would be added back into version 13.

The problem I have is that one of the chosen replacements is to replace ":" with ";". Now this is fine for windows file system but when I attempt to create backup DVDs of ripped files, those characters are illegal and creates problem.

Thanks,

Administrator

You can do it with Options >> character replacement, but that is for Tags as well as filenames.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You can do it with Options >> character replacement, but that is for Tags as well as filenames.
    How do I use this feature to simply remove certain characters? For instance if I simply wish to remove any ";" in the file name and tag what would be the procedure for replacing that character with nothing?

Thanks,

Administrator

Specify ';' in the left column and press enter in the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Specify ';' in the left column and press enter in the right one.
    Is there some trick to this or maybe I'm just missing the point completely. I've been using dbPoweramp for about 6 months and I'm no expert. I've experimented with using the Character / Word Replacement functionality in Meta Data & ID Tag Options but can't make it work at all.

I've tried this on 6 different combinations of hardware/OS/Software environment – all windows based desktops and laptops (XP, Vista Ultimate & Business, and Windows 7). So that seems to suggest operator error or an application problem.

As an example I have a test disk where I've set both Artist and Album Artist to “Fleetwood & Mac” with a track titled “Oh Well Parts 1 & 2” (no quotes). I've simply typed ''&'' in the To Replace pane and typed ''and'' in the Replace With pane of the Meta Character/ Word Replacement dialog box. – no CR/LF, etc, in either case. The exported registry entry shows the following (on two lines)

"PerfectMetaChrReplacement"="&
    and"

However when ripped, the folder name, the file name as well as the Artist/Album Artist meta data all have the ampersand. I've tried many other characters , tried using enclosing quotes, hitting enter after typing the data, prayer, etc, but nothing works.

Following Spoon's advice above NOTHING happens as I find no data is retained if the right pane is empty (as is the case if I simply press enter in the right pane).

I realise MP3Tag can fix most Meta Data problems but it would be great if the application worked (as I believe it to be specified) in the first place. Overall though, this is a terrific product. Having steadfastly using EAC since its original release and more recently in combination with REACT2, I simply couldn't imagine myself using anything else. But I then tried dbPoweramp and it works so well and is so well featured – great stuff

Mike

Administrator

The replacement happens when the data is brought in live from the internet, not if you type a value.

I can't get this to work either. I make the settings via -
    CD Ripper - Options - Meta Data & ID Tag Options -
    Character / Word replacement - Edit.

To Replace. Replace With.

; (Semi Colon) - Tab - . (Full Stop) - (OK)

I don't enter the stuff in parenthesis, just the character.

I've tried various combinations of characters for replacement and to be replaced by.
    The meta data is all automatically downloaded via PerfectMeta, I've not altered it.

Administrator

You are trying to have multi artists separated by . ?

No. I wanted to replace it with a bullet •, that was really just an example.
    There were some other things I want to change as well, like ' for ".
    Is ; a special case that can't be changed?

Administrator

Yes as it is not '; ' internally, that is a virtual representation of it. There is a DSP effect ID Tag Processing which can force it to be '; ' but this will happen after those mappings, so there is a new Beta DSP effect which has an updated ID Tag Processing with those word/char replacements in the DSP effect its self (you might need ID Tag Processing: Force '; ' then a 2nd ID Tag Processing: Char Replacement as I am not sure of their implementation order).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi,

Whilst it seems I can successfully enter "&" to be replaced with "and" I can't get "¿" to be simply removed as pressing enter, closing and then reopening the dialogue box results in the pair being removed.

Daz

Administrator

You have to press tab I think to enter a blank line

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi,

Nope, it doesn't seem possible to have an empty string as the replacement.

Daz