title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BatchRipper Hangs!

BatchRipper Hangs!

When I'm ripping CD's using multiple players the BatchRipper stops responding ("hangs").

This happens when one of the current rip sessions encounter a bad CD with a lot of Re-Reads.

The background rips sessions finishes even if the BatchRipper hangs.

The machine is a Vista x64 system, clean only used with dbPowerAmp, no other software, with all updates installed. 8 core CPU with 4Gb RAM.

Using dbPowerAmp 13.2 (beta) and BatchRipper 1.2 (beta).

Any clue what the problem are?

/Keivan

Administrator

Re: BatchRipper Hangs!

We will note as a possible bug to simulate and try to see if it can lock the batch ripper (none of my CD drives would lock like that).

I'm have a lot of problem with the Batch Ripper hanging, it hangs at least 1 time every hour.

I'm tried everyting to find a work around, do you have any idea what to try?

It seams to hang when I'm having more then 2 rippers having re-reads at the same time, that means that if I'm ripping a bad batch of CD's I'm getting the hang more often.

/Keivan

dBpoweramp Guru

Are drives IDE (aka ATA), SATA, Firewire or USB?

If IDE, are they on the same IDE channel?

-brendan

Administrator

Try not using Batch Ripper, instead have 2x CD Rippers running and see if one effects the other (on a working system, it should never).

All drives are SATA-II.

I'v already tried running several CD Rippers without any problems!

I have 10 drives of the same modell, and are ripping 100 CD's / hour.

I have a Server motherboard with Dual Xeon 5420 processors (total 8 cores), 8Gb internal memory, running a 3Gb RAM disk (used as a temporary files, the temp ripp), 6 channel SATA on motherboard, 4 channel SATA on expansion card PCI-X.

The problem with Batch Ripper haning doesn't seam to be affected by the number of current Rips. If I only run 4 drives I still get the problem.

Note that it's only Batch Ripper interface that hangs, the CdGrab tasks finish even if BatchRipper hangs.

I'm made a dump of the hanged BatchRipper, is this something that can help in tracking down the problem?

/Keivan

Any suggestions?

Shuld I revert back to non beta version of BatchRipper?

One obervation can be that the BatchRipper seams to hang (stop responding) when a CD has a high number of re-read sectors.

/Keivan

Administrator

Do you have the option to 'disable auto-run' set in Batch RIpper configuration?, if so uncheck it.

Yes I do, I'll give it a try today. I'll get back with the result as soon as I can.

One other obeservation could be that the Batch Ripper seams to hang when there are 2 or more rips that are finished at the same time and at least one with re-rips.

/Keivan

The disable of 'disable auto-run' did NOT help.

I'm more and more convinced that the hang is caused by more that 2 rips finishing at the same time.

I'm now keeping track of all hangs, I'm checking if 2 or more rips is finished at the same time and I'm checking if I'm having re-reads at the same time the Batch Ripper hangs.

Does this give any clues what the problem might be?

/Keivan

The last 30 hangs, 2 or more rips has finished at the same time. So I'm almost 100% sure the bug has to do with this. I haven't found any other common thing during the last 30 hangs.

Any idea what to do? This is a realy big problem for us!

/Keivan

Administrator

We will give this propper attention this week, when the BR hangs, does the ripping process continue (are new discs loaded)?

Is the Manual Input & Review option enabled (to allow manual meta data input)?

I'll try to give you as much help that I can.

When the BatchRipper process hangs, the CDGrab processes continue to run as expected and when a Rip is finished the CDGrab process terminates normaly.

The CD doesn't eject when the BatchRipper hangs.

Then manual review option is not enabled.

I have a process dump from when the BatchRipper has hanged, is this something that can help you in tracking down the problem?

/Keivan

Administrator

No, because the program would be waiting on mutexes of the system, which would not be in the dump.

Administrator

K1 please send an email 'batch ripper hanging' to:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/email.htm