title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot submit changes to Freedb/AMG

Exclamation Cannot submit changes to Freedb/AMG

Hello,

I was concerned that I was going to run into this problem. I'm not into popular music, nor am I into RAP. So, my esoteric jazz collection winds up getting entered manually. I'm sure PerfectMeta is wonderful... but, I'm not willing to listen to RAP in order to use it!

I'm exaggerating a little... some of my jazz CDs are recognized. And that's pure bliss.

The frustrating thing is two fold.

1) When a CD is not recognized and I have to do the manual entry, I must eject the disc in order to read the tracks. Some CDs have 25 tracks... so, that is a LOT of ejecting because I can only remember about two tracks at a time. So, it's in-and-out, in-and-out. Sometimes DBP will keep the track entry on the screen after ejecting so that I can simply read and enter (yippee!!), but 9times out of 10, the screen goes blank when the CD is ejected (by either method, the radio button, or the physical button on the CD player). Anyway, it's a bit of a buggy portion of the program.

2) After doing ALL THAT WORK... and I am quite thorough... well, I'd like to "pay it forward" and submit the changes to AMG and Freedb. But, those selections on the pull down menu are grayed out 90-percent of the time. What's up with that??? I've been able to submit only 1 out of 10 disks. Something is very wrong with that. If I'm getting shorted because my collection is NOT in the databases, well... I can see why. I can't put all my efforts into the public record either. That is quite frustrating when it doesn't work.

And this is related:

3) If I elect to do a disc rip in two sessions... say, 5 tracks now and pause for ten minutes and finish up with the final 5 tracks. When it comes time to submit the results to AccurateRip, the data shows only 1 CD and only 5 tracks, not the full 10 tracks. Now, what's up with THAT??? There was NO ejecting in between... no funny business, just checking-off 5 tracks, rip them... and do it again for the final 5 tracks. So, the next guy gets screwed out of having 5 tracks on AccurateRip. What's up with THAT??

Please tell me:

4) Where is the entry data kept for when I am doing my manual entries for track names, artist, year, etc., etc.? Somewhere there must be a text file where this is kept before it gets used for the Rip and encoding. Where is this text file? It might be TONS easier for me to enter this data into a file than to have to deal with click-click, wait, click again... move the curser, click again... type like crazy... repeat, etc., etc.

And finally:

5) Where is the data kept... again, I am expecting a text file somewhere... that gets submitted to AccurateRip?

Thank you kindly ALL,

Love2fly

Re: Cannot submit changes to Freedb/AMG

4 & 5) Start --> run --> %appdata%
    Go into the dBpoweramp folder
    The AccurateRip.bin is the Accuraterip file, the CDRipper.bin is the CD ripper cache.

Angry Re: Cannot submit changes to Freedb/AMG

Quote Originally Posted by LtData View Post
    4 & 5) Start --> run --> %appdata%
    Go into the dBpoweramp folder
    The AccurateRip.bin is the Accuraterip file, the CDRipper.bin is the CD ripper cache.
    Thank you. I had expected the above.

Here is my path:

C:\users\"my user account name"\AppData\Roaming\dBpoweramp\

And the file name

CDRipperCache.bin

The file appears to be in machine language and doesn't give me much of a clue about anything while browsing through it with a text editor program.

Still... am not getting an opportunity to upload all my hard work to Freedb or All Media Guide. This seems rather silly.

If I'm trying THIS hard to submit my data and am hitting a brick wall... well, it's no wonder why I'm sucking wind on 3/4 of my jazz collection when I look for Accurate Rip results to help me with my rips or Freedb information to load my track information (etc.). Clearly, previous folks have run into the same brick wall and have simply given up and moved on down the road.

Any ideas? Anyone??

Thanks!

Love2fly

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I just did a search for this exact issue and found this thread but it appears to be unanswered for the most part.
    Sorry for resurecting and old thread but.......
    How exactly are the databases updated? I've ripped about 50 CDs so far and sometimes it asks to submit (generally when they are already accurate rips) but mostly it does not ask and there doesn't appear to be a way to push.

I just ripped 7 classical CDs which were tagged correctly but not in the accurate rip database. How do I submit my entries? ...or maybe it was done automatically?

Thanks

Administrator

When it offers to submit (will do once a month) click submit.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    When it offers to submit (will do once a month) click submit.
    I've just read this thread, which is of interest to me, and the replies really do seem peculiarly terse and unhelpful.

Why should that be ? e.g. Re the above quote. OK...once a month....but when in the month ? The 1st ? the 20th ? the last day ? And for how long ?

Or is it just when somebody remembers about it, and can be bothered to open the 'offer to submit' ?

Does it matter when the automatic offer appears as it is possible to manually submit your submissions to AccurateRip from within the options dialog of CD Ripper?

Please be aware that it does take a while for updates to make it into the AccurateRip database.

Thanks Wayne. But I'm assuming there is a difference between submitting to the AccurateRip Database, and the Music Source Databases, e.g. freedb, musicbrainz etc.

I had thought that was what 'Love2fly' was meaning.

But I maybe wrong. Or are submissions made to AccurateRip automatically forwarded on to the Music Source Data bases anyway ?

Administrator

AccurateRip is separate from metadata.

This thread has me very confused. The original poster is mainly talking about submitting track and artist information, not AccurateRip data.

He's wondering why the option under Meta -> Submit Changes To -> All Music Guide / freedb is grayed out. I'm wondering the same thing. Does anyone have an answer?

dBpoweramp Guru

If metadata has been pulled from any of the providers spoon/dbpoweramp is not allowed to upload it to other providers. This stops the program from sending AMGs data to freedb. It would be nice if the program could upload fields that were hand edited only as I don't think this would break any contracts, but I don't know.

Why would the metadata get pulled from one of the providers? If I rip a cd and the submit changes is greyed out, does that mean that the studio/copyright owner/whoever has gotten some kind of legal order prohibiting the metadata from being disseminated? Is the metadata also protected by copyright? That doesn't make sense.

It might be interesting to have a list of what cds give submit changes greyed out; is it one label, or certain artists, or what? I have only noticed it on rare occasion. The Bee Gees 6-disc studio albums are greyed out that way, by the way.
    Last edited by GeorgeButel; 05-29-2010 at 05:41 AM. Reason: additional info & idea

Are you saying that if the metadata has been pulled from any of the other databases, it cannot be changed in whatever provider still has the information? That doesn't make any sense; I see absolutely no logic to that.

Administrator

You have to edit the metadata to be able to submit it back.

I was editing it because some of the song files would have had identical names otherwise since the original metadata did not have things like (mono) or (alternate take) on the tracks with identical names, but the option stayed greyed out.