title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Occasionally my computer been crashing while converting APE to Flac.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marc779
    • Nov 2008

Occasionally my computer been crashing while converting APE to Flac.

Not all the time but when it happens everything locks ups. It also happens sometimes with MP3Tag when writing embedded images. Any suggestions?

Marc
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Occasionally my computer been crashing while converting APE to Flac.

CPU overheating, dodgy ram / PSU, a system driver with bugs. Could be any of those.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Marc779
      • Nov 2008

I ran a memory check that I got from Microsoft and everything tested OK. The CPU is high but with in acceptable limits and so are the hard drives. I know for a fact the mother board has problems but MSI wants me to tear my computer apart return the MB and they will test it and return something to me. How do I check out the drivers?

Marc

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Normally the best you can do is update to latest drivers (video card, etc), and hope if there was such an issue it has been fixed.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• annihilatorx
          • Feb 2009

I can confirm the same problem converting ape to flac.

The conversion would stuck at "writing ID3 tags" on the status. This is consistent with a few files I have with image embedded. I can supply a sample if you like.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Did windows freeze?
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• annihilatorx
              • Feb 2009

no not at all. In fact, none of the programs actually freezes.
              MusicConverter.exe would remain functional. Elapsed time keeps counting up.
              I cannot close the converter however. Pressing cancel doesn't work.
              CoreConvert.exe would use much CPU (saturating one of my core).

It would stay like this indefinitely until killed in task manager.
              The converted file still works, since the conversion has finished, but tags aren't transferred since it's stuck at writing tag stage for whatever reason.

I've only encountered this problem with ape files with an embedded image. I have multiple files from same album with this occurring. Both are encoded using Monkey's audio v3.99 with high compression. Album art added with mp3tag v2.39. Also unicode was used.
              Last edited by annihilatorx; 02-19-2009, 12:53 AM.

Comment

• Marc779
                • Nov 2008

Mine does the exact same thing - sometime on MP3s - but Windows freezes. I can close down most applications and their OK. But anything open that has user defined setting loses those settings e.g. uTorrent, MP3Tag, Foobar they also freeze. Sometimes this happens with MP3Tag - writing the tags - and Foobar verifying files.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

@annihilatorx please send one file which does this:

Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• annihilatorx
                    • Feb 2009

I've sent the file. I've trimmed the audio to 10 sec to cut down file size to 900kb. Let me know if that's still too big for the mailbox.

The tag seems to be the culprit as regardless of actual audio content the problem still persists.

Comment

Working...

]]>