title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dBpoweramp Music Converter Release 13.2

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

dBpoweramp Music Converter Release 13.2

Changes:

FLAC codec included as standard, is default codec for CD Ripper

CD Ripper: MetaDataGD3 Symphony - extended classical fields

mp3 Lame updated to 3.98.2
    mp3 Lame added 'Forced Stereo' option on advanced

Bug Fix: Batch Converter if Listed files, sorted on a column and excluded certain items, when click Ok the wrong items would be excluded
    Bug Fix: mp3 ID Tag writing, if unicode selected would crash if setting a 'www' element

Installation:

<now released>

5.3MB

This beta is expected to last 3-4 weeks.
    Last edited by Spoon; 03-31-2009, 11:01 PM.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com
  • EliC
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: dBpoweramp Music Converter Release 13.2

omg, work resumes on the ripper. Can't wait to see whats in store....

Comment

• MahlerFreak
      • Dec 2008

I've tried out the new ripper with a few classical discs in my collection, and I definitely appreciate the additional classical metadata which is apparently provided by GD3: Style (symphony, concerto, etc), Instrument, Soloist, Orchestra, and sort names for composer, soloist, conductor. Very useful in a music library with user-definable fields, like J River. As us classical fans have come to expect, the fields are only inconsistently available from disc to disc, but still this is a distinct improvement in classical metadata, which was already better in dbPA than in the other readily available ripping solutions.

Of course, I just ripped about 1000 classical discs last month, so I curse you for your timing On to another issue: the AMG metadata is occasionally completely wrong - it references a completely different disc. This particularly tends to happen on multi-disc classical collections, e.g. Leonard Bernstein's DG Beethoven symphony collection. I have some familiarity with AMG's Lasso API, and I've observed that AMG will often return several different entries for one CD TOC. Often the first return is the right one, but not always. What I observe in the multi-disc sets is that the AMG data returned is often consistent with the disc number reported by GD3, freedb, MusicBrainz, and if that disc number is wrong, the AMG data is right for that disc number but wrong for the actual disc. Usually, the number of tracks is even wrong. It seems that some additional sanity checks, like making sure the number of tracks matches the disc, would make the selection of the appropriate AMG return more reliable.

Comment

• EliC
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

I haven't had any free time to play with the new rip yet, should this weekend.

A thread on better classical music tagging:
        I have a lot of albums that are various different composers and conductors for classical music. Currently there is no easy way to do per track composers and conductors. I know GD3 says they have good Classical meta-data. I look forward to seeing this when GD3 support is added to the ripper. Also, when Intelligent Meta-Data

I think Muze offers extended classical music fields as well as they highest album art resolution available

Really hoping that as 13.2 matures some of my 13.x features considered.

Thanks for the continued great work spoon !!

Comment

• MahlerFreak
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by EliC
          I haven't had any free time to play with the new rip yet, should this weekend.

A thread on better classical music tagging:
          I have a lot of albums that are various different composers and conductors for classical music. Currently there is no easy way to do per track composers and conductors. I know GD3 says they have good Classical meta-data. I look forward to seeing this when GD3 support is added to the ripper. Also, when Intelligent Meta-Data

I think Muze offers extended classical music fields as well as they highest album art resolution available

Really hoping that as 13.2 matures some of my 13.x features considered.

Thanks for the continued great work spoon !!
          I had seen that thread, and agreed with the sentiments in it, and I'm very pleased that this feedback is being taken into account in the latest releases.

I note that, amongst all of the new tags in metadata options (which I assume are coming from GD3), there is unfortunately no tag which corresponds to Work title - the single most important missing tag in classical metadata, for my use. I like to navigate mostly by Composer->Work, or Composer->Genre->Work, and I like to group my views in J River by Work (rather than Album). Unfortunately, hand editing Work titles is a *lot* of work, and I'm lazy. I'm writing a C++ plugin for J River to try to automate extraction of Work and Movement titles from the track name - we'll see how that goes.

Comment

• 3dHeli
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Spoon
            Changes:

FLAC codec included as standard, is default codec for CD Ripper

CD Ripper: MetaDataGD3 Symphony - extended classical fields

mp3 Lame updated to 3.98.2
            mp3 Lame added 'Forced Stereo' option on advanced

Bug Fix: Batch Converter if Listed files, sorted on a column and excluded certain items, when click Ok the wrong items would be excluded
            Bug Fix: mp3 ID Tag writing, if unicode selected would crash if setting a 'www' element
            I'm assuming no cue sheets support is in R13.2, just want to check it's not an oversight in the description.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Not yet.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• trainee
                • Apr 2008

Trying not to be a bother, but I'll get my once-a-month cuesheet request bump in here.

Comment

• jpgreen3
                  • Sep 2008

I had reported a bug in versions 13.0 and 13.1 in the return of selected files from Batch Converter's LIST screen back to Batch Converter and on the Audio Converter, here:

I've tested this feature of the current 13.2 beta with the following results:

Within Batch converter, I selected a directory structure containing 7516 MP3 files. Clicking LIST displayed the 7516 tracks, all marked Selected. I had sometime previously enhanced the default field display so that it included Path and Album Artist.

I clicked the Path and then Album Artist column headers to sort the list by Path within Album Artist.

I clicked Unselect All to de-select all tracks.

I used the standard Click - Shift-Click sequence to Highlight a range of files, and clicked on one of the check boxes to mark all the files in the highlighted range as Selected.

I clicked a title to un-highlight the range, and then clicked on a few check boxes to unselect a few titles within the previously Selected Range.

At this point the results - desired or unwanted - depends on whether I click OK or click Convert.

When I Click OK, focus returns back to Batch Converter screen where clicking Convert sends the desired set of files to the Audio Converter configuration screen;

However, from LIST with the desired files checked, clicking CONVERT, moves the focus directly to the Audio Converter configuration screen with the full set of files displayed on the LIST screen set for conversion - all 7516 in my test, rather than the subset I had selected.

I really like that when I first sort by Path, and then by Album Artist, the result groups files together by Path within Album Artist - this is really useful when cleaning up tags within a collection. I hope it is by design and is a feature that is retained in future releases.

(As an aside, another useful feature would be to support direct ID tag editing from the LIST screen, similar to editing tags from the Winamp or Windows Media Player title list screen.)

Action timing (system is a 3.2GHz Pentium 4, 4GB RAM, Vista Ultimate)
                  For the directory structure containing 7516 MP3 format files on a 500 GB SATA II disk
                  It took about 8:30 minutes to read the metadata for the 7516 files.
                  It took about 5:30 minutes to complete an "unselect all" operation" after the Reading Metadata operation completed. This seems excessive.
                  It took only a second or so to sort the list by the Album Artist or Path column.

Many thanks for addressing this selection issue - I find the ability to sort and select files on the List screen to be really useful.

John Green

Comment

• jpgreen3
                    • Sep 2008

I've done some additional testing with 13.2 beta's Batch Converter - List features. It choked when I attempted to list a directory structure containing 30,000+ tracks. It works fine - albeit slowly - on a structure with 15,000+ tracks.

I've been working with mostly with [ID Tag Update] and [Tag from Filename] without any issues.

In my previous post, where I said Path I meant the Folder column within LIST.

Regarding the suggestion to enable ID tag editing from within the LIST module, would it be a big deal to enable within the LIST window the Edit ID-Tag function available from the Windows Explorer context menu?

Comment

• seanchristian01
                      • Feb 2009

dbpoweramp, for me is the best cd ripper and audio converter that I've ever used but still... I find 2 very irritating problem that I really hope that will be fixed in the future... To make it absolutely the best cd ripper tool and audio converter ever... First, the cd ripper program doesn't allow embedding 600x600 album art covers instead it convert it automatically to 500x500 resolution. (embedding 600x600 resolution is only allowed when you edit it one by one in the properties of the song) Second, the m4a tagging can support ID3v1 but not ID3v2 wich was very disappointing for me... can this be fixed? because if that will happen, this will be the standard tool for converting cd's to all kinds of devices using m4a and that will make it perfect to work such device as ipod, nokia phone, se phones, etc... including those old devices that do not support m4a tagging scheme... I hope you you got my message and maybe work for it for the next releases... Thank you for your consideration:-)

Comment

• eboyer93
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Apr 2008

Is this beta stable enough for regular use?

Comment

• Wayne
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Aug 2002

Yes. I haven't experienced any problems.

Comment

• funkyblue
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • Oct 2007

Any chance the ability to captalize all data will be avaliable soon? Really missing this from EAC. Tired of having to manually edit all the time. Cheers

Comment

• Wayne
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Aug 2002

Originally posted by funkyblue
                              Any chance the ability to captalize all data will be avaliable soon? Really missing this from EAC. Tired of having to manually edit all the time. Cheers
                              Do you want to convert all the text to capitals? Can you clarify?

Comment

Working...

]]>