title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_FRAME_SYNC' in FLAC File ...

Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_FRAME_SYNC' in FLAC File ...

I am converting FLAC to ALAC. What does this message mean? Is the converted file OK?

I also get files with
    1. FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_FRAME or
    2. FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA
    Last edited by MrRalph; 01-27-2009 at 12:47 PM.

Administrator

Re: Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_FRAME_SYNC' in FLAC File ...

Means the FLAC files are corrupted?

I've encountered a couple of these lately, I foudn out as I were doing a test conversion. As a matter of fact, it happened just now. The file ripped perfectly and I have the FLAC encoder set to verify. Five minutes later I do a test conversion and I get the same message as above, i.e. the 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_FRAME_SYNC'.

I'm using Reference 13.1 with FLAC Release 12 (1.2.1).

What's causing this?
    Last edited by dhlstrm; 01-29-2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: clarification

Administrator

The error is whilst the FLAC file is decoding it encounters an error within FLAC. Ifthe FLAC file passed verification, could be CPU / memory related, a dBpoweramp Issue, or HDD corruption. Try moving the file to another PC and see if it can decode it.

Thank you for your reply, Spoon.

I have since investigated the issue a little further but unfortunately am only further confused.

How about this: I ran a conversion today on a file that tested OK a while back (it was also encoded with "Verify" enabled), but this time I received the MISSING_SYNC error. Six hours later, it passes the test conversion, repeatedly (and confirmed by flac.exe).

I don't know what to believe, except maybe that the actual files are indeed fine. I would normally suspect bad RAM, but the computer works well in general, passes memory tests and we're talking a ridiculously small number of cases.

More often than not, the supposedly corrupt files have been ones that I've listened to frequently. Surely it can't be Foobar and/or some metadata issues, can it?

If I find something out that may cast some light on this, I'll post here again.

Thanks.

Administrator

Something is not consistent on your system.

Indeed! But what, if not bad RAM? HD corruption probably isn't it, either.

I initially suspected that somehow the tagging app (Picard) I use as a last step screwed with things, but I've found no evidence of that. And yesterday's fixed-by-itself file is perplexing, I certainly haven't seen that happen before.