title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_FRAME_SYNC' in FLAC File ...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrRalph
    • Aug 2008

Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_FRAME_SYNC' in FLAC File ...

I am converting FLAC to ALAC. What does this message mean? Is the converted file OK?

I also get files with
    1. FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_FRAME or
    2. FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_READ_METADATA
    Last edited by MrRalph; 01-27-2009, 04:47 PM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Encountered 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_FRAME_SYNC' in FLAC File ...

Means the FLAC files are corrupted?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dhlstrm
      • Jan 2009

I've encountered a couple of these lately, I foudn out as I were doing a test conversion. As a matter of fact, it happened just now. The file ripped perfectly and I have the FLAC encoder set to verify. Five minutes later I do a test conversion and I get the same message as above, i.e. the 'FLAC__STREAM_DECODER_SEARCH_FOR_FRAME_SYNC'.

I'm using Reference 13.1 with FLAC Release 12 (1.2.1).

What's causing this?
      Last edited by dhlstrm; 01-29-2009, 02:12 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

The error is whilst the FLAC file is decoding it encounters an error within FLAC. Ifthe FLAC file passed verification, could be CPU / memory related, a dBpoweramp Issue, or HDD corruption. Try moving the file to another PC and see if it can decode it.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dhlstrm
          • Jan 2009

Thank you for your reply, Spoon.

I have since investigated the issue a little further but unfortunately am only further confused.

How about this: I ran a conversion today on a file that tested OK a while back (it was also encoded with "Verify" enabled), but this time I received the MISSING_SYNC error. Six hours later, it passes the test conversion, repeatedly (and confirmed by flac.exe).

I don't know what to believe, except maybe that the actual files are indeed fine. I would normally suspect bad RAM, but the computer works well in general, passes memory tests and we're talking a ridiculously small number of cases.

More often than not, the supposedly corrupt files have been ones that I've listened to frequently. Surely it can't be Foobar and/or some metadata issues, can it?

If I find something out that may cast some light on this, I'll post here again.

Thanks.

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Something is not consistent on your system.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dhlstrm
              • Jan 2009

Indeed! But what, if not bad RAM? HD corruption probably isn't it, either.

I initially suspected that somehow the tagging app (Picard) I use as a last step screwed with things, but I've found no evidence of that. And yesterday's fixed-by-itself file is perplexing, I certainly haven't seen that happen before.

Comment

Working...

]]>