title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transfer of metadata

Question Transfer of metadata

Hi,

Does the metadata gets transfer with the files from
    .flac to .wav when converted with batch converter ?

Re: Transfer of metadata

Yes, but note that not all programs support reading ID tags from WAV files.

You may "break" the file by trying to insert tags into a WAV file so that it is mostly unusable.

Check here for suggestions: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...hp/t43135.html

Administrator

You would not break the wave file, but there might be poorly written programs which would not be able to read the wave files (I do not think any of the main ones are this).

Quote Originally Posted by vibes View Post
    Hi,

Does the metadata gets transfer with the files from
    .flac to .wav when converted with batch converter ?
    I found where my problem lay. When I ripped my cd's I had album art check in write id tag (in metadata & id tag option > write id tag).

Is there anyway to remove the album art from the ID tag. The software I use worked/will work when the album art is not in the tag (in metadata & id tag option > write id tag).
    Last edited by vibes; 05-08-2009 at 12:55 PM.

Administrator

Right click >> Edit Tag, select album art and remove.

Talking Re: Transfer of metadata

Thanks to everyone for there help & time.

Yes thanks everyone, i had the same problems as vibes but you cleared it up nicely for me.

I will be converting my FLAC files to WAV. I assume this is bit accurate and much faster than re-ripping. The files I tested have identical CRC values. I have figured out that Twonky will read a ID (LIST) tag and display the information (which works with my Linn Klimax DS). What are the exact best settings in dBpoweramp configuration area that get the most robust result for the WAV (LIST) tag (I know where to look)? Also, I have to load the files into monkey media and just press okay to the properties for the album and then the metadata works perfectly. I assume this is because dBpoweramp is not writing a RIFF chunk? If I write a ID3 tag twonky will not read it in the context of the WAV file and the metadata does not populate the correct fields in my control points. Did I find a hack?
    Also, with the test files conversion is obviously much faster when I take them off the NAS and run it locally on the computer running dBpoweramp and then transfer them back. I assume it is best practice to do it this way but was worried about losing anything moving stuff so many times...but re-ripping seems redundant with an awesome tool as the converter.
    Thanks in advance.

Administrator

dBpoweramp writes tags correctly in 2 different formats to wave files, Twonky is likely the issue when reading such (we wrote Asset UPnP because we evaluated Twonky and thought things could be done much better). You are better with FLAC, or similar.
    Last edited by Spoon; 05-11-2009 at 11:03 AM.

But what are the suggested settings for the 2 different types of WAVE tags, and which is the preferred ID (LIST) tag of the two?

Administrator

RIFF id3v2 and RIFF List, the preferred one is which ever your software reading them supports, very few programs support reading wave id tags. dBpoweramp writes both together so if your reading application supports any then they are read.

Which RIFF is written first the ID3v2 or the LIST to the file? I would prefer to have both for future conversion but right now it appears twonky reads the LIST tag perfectly when it's alone. I am not wedded to twonky and since I only want to make this conversion only once I would prefer having both tags since the ID3v2 already exist in my FLAC files ripped with dBpoweramp. I assume Asset uPnP would correctly read both types of WAVE tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Right click >> Edit Tag, select album art and remove.
    Is there anyway to do it batch, instead of single.

Administrator

@Midnight ID3v2 should not be in the FLAC files, rather vorbis comments (I3v2 in FLAC is a very old standard).

dBpoweramp Configuration >> Codecs >> Advanced and you can set the type of WVAE tags are written.

@Vibes

Try '[ID Tag Update]' utility codec and remove the album art. Test on a few files first.