title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Dynamic Naming [origpath] is screwing up folder names

Dynamic Naming [origpath] is screwing up folder names

Hey everyone,

I'm a long-time EAC and Foobar2000 user trying out dBpoweramp for the first time. I'm mostly interested in the FLAC->MP3 conversion. So far I love how the batch converter automatically grabs the folder.jpg file sitting with my FLAC files for each CD and embeds it into the new MP3 files.

But I am getting annoyed at a possible bug in the batch conversion "dynamic naming" process. I've got it set up to just do [origpath]\[origfilename]. It works okay for most albums, but it's been choking on a few with commas and apostrophes in the title or just long titles. Here's what I mean:

Original folder with FLAC files:
    \Derek And The Dominos - The Layla Sessions (Disc 1) - Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs

Output to MP3 folder:
    (each of these folders will randomly have anywhere from 0 to 4 of the MP3s inside)
    Derek And The Dominos - The Layla Sessions (Disc 1) - Lay
    Derek And The Dominos - The Layla Sessions (Disc 1) - Layla
    Derek And The Dominos - The Layla Sessions (Disc 1) - Layla And
    Derek And The Dominos - The Layla Sessions (Disc 1) - Layla And Ot
    Derek And The Dominos - The Layla Sessions (Disc 1) - Layla And Other As
    Derek And The Dominos - The Layla Sessions (Disc 1) - Layla And Other Ass
    Derek And The Dominos - The Layla Sessions (Disc 1) - Layla And Other Assor
    Derek And The Dominos - The Layla Sessions (Disc 1) - Layla And Other Assort
    Derek And The Dominos - The Layla Sessions (Disc 1) - Layla And Other Assorte
    Derek And The Dominos - The Layla Sessions (Disc 1) - Layla And Other Assorted
    Derek And The Dominos - The Layla Sessions (Disc 1) - Layla And Other Assorted Love
    Derek And The Dominos - The Layla Sessions (Disc 1) - Layla And Other Assorted Love S

You get the idea. A few other albums with the same problem were:
    .38 Special - 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection The Best Of .38 Special (that "." in front of "38 Special" seems to screw up a lot of other programs too)
    Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
    Blue Öyster Cult - Dont Fear The Reaper - The Best Of Blue Öyster Cult
    Derek And The Dominos - The Layla Sessions (Disc 3) - Alternate Masters, Jams And Outtakes
    Elvis Presley - Time-Life Music - The Rock'N'Roll Era - Elvis Presley - 1954-1961
    James Brown - Star Time (Disc 2) - The Hardest Working Man In Show Business

[edit] I noticed another one "John Coltrane And Johnny Hartman - John Coltrane And Johnny Hartman" also produced a bunch of folders. The MP3 for track 1 was inside the first messed up folder. Track 1 is "They say It's Wonderful".

The FLAC file name is: John Coltrane And Johnny Hartman 01 - They Say It's Wonderful.flac
    The MP3 output file name is: John Coltrane And Johnny Hartman 01 - They Say It's Wonderfu.mp3 (note the missing "l" at the end of "wonderful")

The tag info in the MP3 file correctly spells "wonderful" with the "l" at the end.

So now I'm worried about how many other things might be messed up in the whole batch conversion.
    Last edited by Orange Juice; 01-17-2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason: adding info

Administrator

Re: Dynamic Naming [origpath] is screwing up folder names

Windows has a file+path length limit of 260 characters.

Re: Dynamic Naming [origpath] is screwing up folder names

Yep, that was it. Looks like I was dumping them into a sub folder that was way too deep and the longer albums were bumping up against the limit.

Thanks!