title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: FLAC>MP3 Tag Mapping

FLAC>MP3 Tag Mapping

Notwithstanding my problems encountered last week with some odd tag issues, I do have a further simple(!) query.

When ripping to FLAC, the options in dbpoweramp configuration state:

• Tag Creation: Vorbis Comments
    • ID3V2 Version: 2.3
    • ID3V2 Text Encoding: ANSI

When I then use dMC to convert to MP3 I assume this is why I only end up with ID3V2 tags in the resultant files. Is there a reason that the ID3V1 tags are not automatically added in by default when converting to MP3 i.e. noone uses them any more, fields get truncated due to size restrictions etc?

Although I can use Tag & Rename to batch copy the ID3V2 tags to ID3V1, is there any point in doing so whatsoever? Is there any hardware or software these days that needs ID3V1 tags to be present and does having both sets of tags present create any further potential issues?

Thanks!

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: FLAC>MP3 Tag Mapping

dbpa configuration >codecs > advanced options

What is your setting under "MP3 ID Tagging"? There you have the option of ID3v2, or ID3v1, or ID3v2 and ID3v1. You also have the options here for which flavor (2.4, 2.3, etc.). You probably have yours set for ID3v2 only.

I used to keep both id3v2.3 and id3v1. And this is not a problem for the most part, but then I found that on occasion I'd use a program to fix something in the tag and I'd get the two out of whack, or a few programs would try to use the id3v1 tag if it existed. Bottom line, I removed ALL my id3v1 tags and never looked back. I don't think there are many devices left out there that can't read id3v2 tags. Maybe some old mp3 readers in car stereos and some old dvd players.

Re: FLAC>MP3 Tag Mapping

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    You probably have yours set for ID3v2 only.
    Yep, well spotted. I didn't realise that was an option I could change :o

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Bottom line, I removed ALL my id3v1 tags and never looked back. I don't think there are many devices left out there that can't read id3v2 tags. Maybe some old mp3 readers in car stereos and some old dvd players.
    I am thinking I might just go with this option because I have lots of instances where titles are longer than ID3V1 tags allow so they don't show properly anyway. It keeps things simple!