title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: .wav 24/96 quad(4.0) to wma lossless 24/96 5.1

.wav 24/96 quad(4.0) to wma lossless 24/96 5.1

i have some hi-res quad wav rips and i would like to convert them to wma lossless 24/96. since wma lossless doesn't have a quad(4.0) option im stuck with using the 5.1 option. this use to not be a problem. the center channel and the sub channel would just be filled with silence and the remaining 4 channels would recieve their proper discrete channels.

recently when i have tried to convert some of my quad wav rips to wma lossless 5.1, the end result isn't like the original wav like how it use to work for me(last time i did this was in june '08 and it worked perfectly). it's almost as if the quad wav file is being treated like it's only stereo and when it gets converted to wma 5.1 it fills the center and surround channels the same way creative lab's cmss or dolby's pro logic works. so the wma files end up not having the proper discrete channels but a simulated surround effect instead.

this confuses me because it use to work perfectly all the time with all four of my discrete channels and the center and surround channel just muted and not the simulated surround effect.

flac and wavpack work perfectly fine as they support a 4.0 option but i would prefer to use wma.

maybe a codec update came along and ruined things.

anybody have any ideas?

Administrator

Re: .wav 24/96 quad(4.0) to wma lossless 24/96 5.1

Use DSP effects to map the channels exactly.

thanks alot!

after some fiddling around i found in using the channel mapper that i need to pick a 6 channel setup and clear channels three and four(center, sub) and map channel 3 to channel 5 and channel 4 to channel 6.

thanks!

Spoon,
    I had asked the same question in another thread, and I do understand the solution you have proposed.

But is it possible to have 4 Channel option in the drop down list that will generate 4 channel WMA Lossless rather than 6 channel with channel 3,4 as as blanks?

Cheers. -aamitabh

Administrator

No as Microsoft do not allow for such (AFAIK)

Hi Spoon,

I think Microsoft supports it. I looked around at their MSDN site and found the Media Foundation API documentation that supports quad. Here is the link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

In the middle of the section they talk about "KSAUDIO_SPEAKER_QUAD" constant.

Cheers. -aamitabh

Hi Spoon,
    Also, is it possible to have a "same-as-source" option for converting to WMA lossless just like we have for FLAC. That will be a huge convenience, and would solve the above problem quite elegantly.

Cheers. -aamitabh

Administrator

>KSAUDIO_SPEAKER_QUAD

This is very generic, it is used by sound cards (KS is kernel streaming). All the possible encoding modes are presented in the drop boxes, if quad is not listed, it does not exist.

Ok! I tried. Thanks.