title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: A very Newbie

A very Newbie

Downloaded dBpoweramp about an hour ago because of increasing frustration with WMP. Internet research suggested dBpoweramp could fit my needs.

The situation is that I have a Buffalo Terastation NAS to which I have begun downloading an extensive CD collection (say 500+ CDs) in WMA format. Trying dBpoweramp in the hope that its search for metadata is better.

2 problems already. To save as WMA I appear to need a new WMA10 codec (XP version). Following the links (a number of times) I get “page unavailable.” What am I doing wrong?

Secondly research on the forum suggests I need a beta codec called “Enhance local” to enable saving to my NAS drive. I’ve looked for it under codecs and can’t find it. Where is it? Is there a workaround?

SVT

Administrator

Re: A very Newbie

The Codec Server was down for a few hours, now fixed.

The other codec is encode local and is in the beta section of this forum.

Thanks Spoon for getting things going again.

I have downloaded and installed dBpoweramp-Codec-WMA10Pro and dMC-R13.1-Ref-Trial in that order. Restarting Ripper does not make either feature available. For example selecting Windows Media Audio from Rip to still tells me I need to download.

The path list still as no obvious route to my NAS.

What am I doing wrong?

Administrator

You install the WMA10 codec, and it is installed to the same folder as Reference (install reference first then the audio codec).

You might have to have your NAS mounted as a drive letter for the CD ripper to see it, I'm not sure.

Thanks guys for your help.

I am struggling to load these codecs. Running dMC-R13.1-Ref-Trial gives a dialogue box. I am informed Installing Version Release 13.1
    Existing version Release 13.1

My first try implied that there was no value in upgrading and I assumed that the new codec would then use the existing installation, but I could detect no evidence of a change after running dBpoweramp ripper.

I tried again and elected to uninstall. Surprisingly it rebooted my PC and removed the software without giving a re-install option. Reinstalling from dMC-R13.1-Ref-Trial doesn’t seem to work either. I am clearly missing something.

Do I need to register first? I am trying to evaluate the software before doing this.

Am I looking for the NAS drive in the wrong place? I assume that access to the NAS will be via the “path” option in the bottom left corner. Is it elsewhere?

I have tried running the running the WMA10Pro install again with similar negative results. I have to be missing a trick somewhere.

Administrator

There is no unregistered limitation of Windows Media Audio, so no you do not have to register.

Look in dBpoweramp Configuration, that lists all codecs installed.

I’m making progress

The WMA10Pro codec is installed but as yet untested.

The hold-up is now the Encode Local. I now realise that this is part of Batch converter. I have configured ripper to WMA 10 and %tmp%.

Batch converter lists all the drives on my PC: both real and virtual as well as one folder on my NAS server. Sadly this isn’t the one I wish to locate the WMA files in.

This may be a Windows problem rather than dBpoweramp. I am new to home networks and having created folders on the NAS drive , My Network Places finds them every time. Please advise me how to find the right folder on my NAS drive.

Should I substitute L:\ (folder name) for %tmp% ?

Administrator

%tmp% is you local PC, nothing to do with NAS. For the output folder, select browse and browse to the network share.

I'm being dumb. Where is the browse button?

I think he is referring to the "Set" button beside the "Path" text box to point dMC to the network drive.

Thanks Lt. Data you understood perfectly, although I was sure I had tried the SET button before.
    dBpoweramp ripper now rips straight to my NAS server.

I think I may have a similar problem with dBpowerAMP. I cannot locate my .Windows Media Audio files.
    Having opened up the Music Collection window. I selected
    Add Music in the top left corner
    Add a folder of music files
    Select a network folder --- I chose the appropriate NAS folder
    OK
    A dialog box “Adding music files” appeared for a few seconds and then disappeared with no change to the main window.

I hope dBpowerAMP is as powerful as the Ripper, which locates metadata far more accurately than Windows Media Player.

Are you referring to dBpowerAMP Audio Player (dAP)? If so you'll need to download the WMA codec from the legacy codec page here http://www.dbpoweramp.com/legacy/cod...ral-legacy.htm and install it instead. Running Start Menu>dBpowerAMP>Configurations>File Associations you can check which codecs are installed for dAP.

Note: Previous Versions of dBpoweramp (before R12) including Sveta Portable Audio, CD Writer and Audio Player use codecs from Legacy Codec Central.

P.S. Don't forget that you'll have to ensure that dAP and dMC r13 are not installed into the same location. See here http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=12667
    Last edited by Wayne; 01-20-2009 at 02:52 PM.

Smile Re: A very Newbie

Thanks guys for all your help. I am now up and running, registered and beginning to explore the intricacies of dbpoweramp.

I'm sorry I did not say thanks sooner, but my PC was sick for a few days, but now all is well again.

Thanks once more

:smile2: