title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Hissing noise at the end of WAV tracks

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flipper
    • Jan 2009

Hissing noise at the end of WAV tracks

I have just started re-ripping my CDs to WAV. Everything works fine except when I playback the ripped tracks I get a hissing noise for what is probably the last second (maybe less) of the track.

I have re-ripped the same CDs using WMP11 and EAC - no hiss.
    I have since added the trim silence DSP and re-ripped. The track sizes are shorter but the hiss remains :(

I love the ripper, WAV tagging is great, but this hiss at end of each track is going to bug me.

Help!

I have also converted the WAVs to MP3 using the batch converter and the hiss is also present at the end of the MP3s.
    Last edited by flipper; 01-11-2009, 10:51 PM. Reason: Forgot to add some info.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Hissing noise at the end of WAV tracks

Your playback program is not able to read Wave chunks, because we put an ID Tag at the end (which is perfectly legal as it is in a chunk). You can turn the tag writing for wave off in:

dMC Configuration >> Codecs >> Advanced.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Porcus
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Feb 2007

Well the conversion issue seems a bit odd.

Anyway I would advise using FLAC instead of WAV. Lossless and better tagging support.

Comment

• flipper
        • Jan 2009

Thanks for your replies.
        I actually spotted this when streaming WAVs to my PS3. I don't get the hissing when playing via WMP11.

What's in the ID tag at the end? Can it be removed without re-ripping the CDs again?

I chose WAV as a sort of lowest common denominator, having foolishly ripped my CDs once already using iTunes into AAC or whatever it uses by default. That was a few years ago and I have since bought a PS3 which is used for streaming media. The only reliable streaming program I have found for music,video and photos' is WMP11, but of course WMP11 will not stream AACs. So I had already started recording some vinyl to WAV so thought I may as well use WAV for my 2nd attempt at ripping. I don't think the PS3 supports FLAC.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Yes change that option then convert all your wave files >> wave (same location, overwriting all). Be aware though WMP will loose the ID Tags for those files.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• flipper
            • Jan 2009

Thanks will give that a try.

Comment

• flipper
              • Jan 2009

Tried a few different combinations of tagging for WAVs to test the effect of the hiss when playing back on a PS3.

Using LIST tagging with LIST Chunk Position = [LIST] [optional padding] [data] provides a basic set of tags and no hiss when playing on a PS3 :D

So using this same tagging scheme I tried to convert some tracks from WAV to WAV. The original tracks used the default LIST & ID3 tagging, but the converted tracks have only ID3 tags.

Also about half of the tracks converted were left with file extensions of .WAV.TMP.WAV. Not so much of a problem, a simple DOS rename will sort that but given I can't seem to convert from LIST & ID3 tagging to LIST only will I have to re-rip again?

Comment

Working...

]]>