title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Problems with Conversions (Flac>MP3)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • a.wright
    • Jan 2008

Problems with Conversions (Flac>MP3)

Bad day :(

I am about 50% of the way through ripping my CD library to FLAC and then converting to MP3. Everything seemed to be going well as all the MP3 files work on my various devices but for some reason they refuse to stream to my Xbox 360.

I have adjusted tags, removed tags, album art etc but there seems to be something inherent in the encoded MP3 itself that is casing the 360 to have issues. It basically just jumps past the files, and won't even try to play them. The thing is the ones I did about a year ago (while I was playing with options) all worked fine.

I am trying to get to the bottom of it by process of elimination and I wondered, could there be anything in the FLAC>MP3 process causing this?

For info I have other software which I have been using to convert from wma to MP3 for downloaded tracks which also uses the latest version of LAME and these play fine.

Help! :cry:
  • a.wright
    • Jan 2008

Re: Problems with Conversions (Flac>MP3)

I have just ripped a CD (that does not work after FLAC>MP3 using dMC) straight to MP3 using CD ripper (same LAME settings) and it works perfectly.

This counts out any network issues, added album art etc. So the question is what is dMC doing that the Xbox360 does not like? I would like to think it is an Xbox issue seeing as the files appear to work ok on my other devices but there must be something happening to the files during dmc encoding that isn't when encoding straight from a CD using CD ripper.

Unfortunately my technical expertise won't take me any further in understanding what might be happening and of course my worry now is that I have just ripped hundreds of CDs that won't convert properly :(

Comment

• a.wright
      • Jan 2008

Sorry to keep adding to my own comments but the converted files seem to play on the Xbox from a USB pen plugged straight in but they won't play from my NAS. MP3 files ripped straight from CD will play over the network from my NAS.

I have tested this on 3 different CDs and the same happens on each, it's the files that are coverted from FLAC using dMC that are definitely the problem.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

The mp3 file if on USB or streamed is 100% the same, so is an issue with the streamer.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• a.wright
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
          The mp3 file if on USB or streamed is 100% the same, so is an issue with the streamer.
          But in that case the same CDs that I ripped directly to MP3 via CD ripper (without using dMC to convert from FLAC) should exhibit the same issue, but they don't.

The settings for LAME have not been touched and I use minimal tags but the direct ripped files work, the dMC ones converted from FLAC (themselves ripped with CD ripper) don't.

I admit I am no tech wizard but the evidence would suggest there is something different about the converted files...

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

There might be differences but they will only be in the ID tags.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• a.wright
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
              There might be differences but they will only be in the ID tags.
              Again, that's what I thought but I removed just about all of them and no luck. How can I see every ID tag that has been written and how it has been written? I use Tag & Rename but that just uses a standard interface which, for example, writes to an Ensemble tag when you fill in the Album Artist field when tagging FLAC files.

I also tried doing a multi-encode when ripping a CD with minimal tags and as far as I could see (by right clicking on the files and looking at the properties) everything was the same on the FLAC & MP3 versions. If that's the case I don't understand why converting from FLAC to MP3 might cause issues with tags.

Is there any way of carrying out an analysis of 2 different MP3 files to see if something has happened with the encoding?

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

No.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• a.wright
                  • Jan 2008

In that case I am at a total loss to know what to do. :thumbdown

Comment

• dvdr
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Sep 2008

Try one thing with the nonworking mp3's: download Foobar 2000, load one of the files, right click on its entry in the foobar-window - there are options/tools to correct faulty mp3's. Try both options and see, if the files play. Maybe, that helps to sort out, what is happening (just my 2Cents, I could correct some files, that did not play for whatever reason...)

Comment

• a.wright
                      • Jan 2008

Nope, still no joy. I also downloaded the little utility that is supposed to perform a binary comparison between two or more tracks and report differences. No differences reported. I downloaded the little utility that checks specified media files for decoding errors, and there were none.

So, can we conlcude it is definitely a tagging issue and that there must be something with the way the tags have transferred from the original FLAC encode to the MP3 converted files that is written differently to how CD ripper does it? Problem is I can't see any difference!

Comment

• joethebus
                        • Jan 2009

Andrew

If you are ripping from CDs why aren't you ripping to FLAC and MP3 simultaneously (ie taking a conversion from FLAC to MP3 right out of the equation) using the multi encoder codec?

Joe

Comment

• a.wright
                          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by joethebus
                          Andrew

If you are ripping from CDs why aren't you ripping to FLAC and MP3 simultaneously (ie taking a conversion from FLAC to MP3 right out of the equation) using the multi encoder codec?

Joe
                          Overall it seems to be quicker to rip the CDs straight to FLAC, get them all organised on my external HD and then just leave the converter to churn through huge batches at the same time. I can convert hundreds of files in literally a matter of minutes.

Ripping to FLAC & MP3 using the multi-encoder seems to take more than twice as long than just ripping to FLAC. Oddly enough when just ripping to FLAC (or MP3) it starts ripping the next track while the last one is encoding but using the multi-encoder doesn't seem to do this.

I probably will use the multi-encoder from now on as the MP3 files work (per my explanation earlier in the thread) but the whole point of keeping a FLAC archive is so that I can convert to the format of my choice, when I want. I have called a halt to proceedings though until I can work out what the problem is.

Comment

• a.wright
                            • Jan 2008

Ok this is definitely a tagging issue. If I use foobar to remove any one of the bracketed e.g. <ENCODER> tags that are listed, it takes with it all ID3V2 tags. The file then plays without a problem. If I remove all tags and then re-tag the stuff I would normally, the file plays without a problem. The only things I ever tag are the simple stuff (basically equivalent to the ID3V1 tags plus album art).

So I know that somewhere there is an issue with an ID3V2 tag. The other thing I know for sure through a long process of elimination is that whatever tag has been written has been written during the dMC process but that it is not written when ripping directly to MP3 using CD ripper.

The problem is I can't find what offending tag has been written because removing the ones I have access to in Tag&Rename individually has no effect. It's only when I remove all ID3V2 tags that the file plays.

Comparing the tags in the FLAC original rip to the dMC MP3 files shows the following differences in mappings:

<ALBUMARTIST> maps to <BAND>
                            <RATING> maps to Comment ("3" in RATING tag to "Good" in Comment tag)

Everything else appears to be the same but there must be another tag somewhere which is causing the problem. The question is which individual tag can do so much damage so as to stop a file streaming?

I need some sleep now :(

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

Re: Problems with Conversions (Flac&gt;MP3)

Please send an effected mp3 file:

(with the tag <ENCODER> before it is removed)
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>