title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: How do I convert m4a? help

How do I convert m4a? help

Hi, I just got a GoStudio recorder with my iPod, and its supposed to record .wav files as 'voice memos'. so i'm making recordings with my new nifty little toy, but all the files I get are m4a files. this is no good because I need a wav to play with, and eventually turn into mp3.

i have been searching for free/shareware programs to do this and none of them work. the only program that will play my .m4a voice memos is quicktime, but it won't save since it is not quicktime pro. the shareware .m4a converters don't recognize any tracks on my files.

I then started downloading codecs, and downloaded a trial version of dbpoweramp, along with the m4a codec and copied the m4a Nero aac files into the directory it told me.

Now when I use dbpoweramp to convert my m4a files to wav or anything else it immediately gives me an coreconverter.exe error and closes dbpoweramp. It creates a 80kb file which just sounds like quick pop. I really could use some help, any ideas on a simple way to convert these files to wav or mp3?

Administrator

Re: How do I convert m4a? help

Sounds like they are not valid m4a files.

well i tried renaming one of the files to .wav and it didn't work. I tried quicktime too and it didn't work with the renamed extension. one i copied out of itunes and one i copied directly from the ipod directory. its 4th gen, so maybe it needs a new codec? i'm gonna keep trying

this is probably a long shot but try using tunebite to convert them.