title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Integrated output file integrity verification

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LazLong
    • Nov 2008

Integrated output file integrity verification

I used to be part of a group of audio enthusiasts who had a strictly codified method for sharing music. A part of the process for ripping discs included creating a hash of each produced file, providing the ability to verify and ensure the integrity of the files. As I spent a great deal of time to rip my 1000+ disc collection, I appreciated the ability to verify that my labor was still valid as I moved my collection from home to work, upgraded storage, etc. As such, I would value such a feature in dBpoweramp, and think it jibes with your tag line for dBpoweramp "CD ripping for those who take ripping seriously."
  • Porcus
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2007

Re: Integrated output file integrity verification

Hm ... if you use FLAC, there is an MD5 checksum in the headers, isn't it?

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Correct this is already done for FLAC, convert all FLAC files to 'Test Conversion' to verify they are correct.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• randym
        • Jan 2007

I've done test conversions but there is no report of results after completion. The drop-down box at the botom of the converter window has "skip finished message" selected and I cannot deselect it. And making selections from the after-convestion menu has no effect.

How do I get a report showing files that check properly and those that don't?

Thanks.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

If there is no report, then there are no errors to report, so all files checked out ok.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LazLong
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
            Correct this is already done for FLAC, convert all FLAC files to 'Test Conversion' to verify they are correct.
            However, this is only valid for FLAC. What of users of other codecs? I think there are two advantages to using a separate hashing mechanism to provide for verification:

1) You only have to code the verification mechanism once, at it is available to all codecs and doesn't rely upon the codec inherently providing a verification mechanism.

2) If you use a standard hash, such as MD5, there are existing tools that could be used to batch verify an entire collection of files, without having to rely upon the fact that you have a) used FLAC, and b) have dBpoweramp installed on the machine/platform where the verification needs to take place.

Comment

Working...

]]>