title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: A decoder plugin for TAK (Tom's lossless audio codec)

A decoder plugin for TAK (Tom's lossless audio codec)

I'm so impressed with the performance of TAK that I've started ripping my disks in TAK and converting some of my inferior lossless files to TAK. With Spoon's kind help I wrote a pretty decent GUI for use with dMC's CLI encoder. Now what's needed is for dMC to be able to decode TAKs and understand and pass the tags. (For now I use MP3TAG, which works flawlessly with TAKs.)

I know it's probably not a high priority to support TAK with a decoder plugin, but I think it might be reasonably easy. TAK uses the familiar APEv2 tags and Tom has published an SDK in the link below.

Zip file with a GUI tool, CLI tool and TAK software development kit.

Since dMC supports many obscure and rarely-used codecs like OptimFrog with plugins, I think it would make sense to also support what in my testing has been the best performing lossless codec out there.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: A decoder plugin for TAK (Tom's lossless audio codec)

.ofr(optimafrog) format isnt that rare really, its very popular in some countrys, china for example, and from my current tests, its got the best lossless compression ratio when you set it to max compression(megs smaller then flac at its best for example)

not saying it wouldnt be nice to have a TAK decoder built in, but shouldnt you beable to use the dshow filter plugin to support TAK?

Quote Originally Posted by lump1 View Post
    TAK uses the familiar APEv2 tags and Tom has published an SDK in the link below.

...I think it would make sense to also support what in my testing has been the best performing lossless codec out there.
    I agree. TAK is a great LOSSLESS.

Thomas not Tom. :D

Sorry to dig out this old thread,
    but I would like to second that having a TAK decoder plugin for dMC would be great!

.sundance.

up for 2012.

dBpoweramp Guru

You could of course use http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-cli.htm. Instructions (from 2008, dunno if TAK has changed):

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...ncoder&p=84442
    Last edited by Porcus; 07-14-2012 at 08:21 AM.

It seems that a TAK decoder is not being regarded as a priority...
    At least for the sake of completeness it should be considered.
    I for one would use it quite often.

Closed Format.
    No hardware support.
    only ~15% Smaller.

In 1997 when the MP3 Codec came out, space was limited. It's not now. Now for less than $100 you can get a the best sounding mp3 player out there, Sandisk Clip Zip and throw a 64MB SDHC card in it. That's a lot of FLACs.

Why throw support for a non-open, ZERO hardware support, obscure, slightly smaller format? "Oh a lossless CD only takes up 181 MB instead of 208!" Now I only have 67,792 MB left." It doesn't matter anymore. Space isn't a problem anymore. Making it EASY to find what you want to listen to FAST is the problem. And with no hardware support and a closed format, guess what? You can't find anything ever because there isn't any non computer solution. Not even Rockbox supports it.

Pfft.