title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Problematic naming conventions for Flac-tags: different in various programs???

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Problematic naming conventions for Flac-tags: different in various programs???

I'd like to share an observation and ask for advice:

Different software seems to tag flac-files differently. I currently am using dBpoweramp (latest 13.1) to my fullest satisfaction, but almost 90% of my pre-dBpoweramp-collection has been ripped with EAC and tags have been updated with Tag&Rename (always latest version, currently 3.4.6). Also, there's a computer in the network running JRiver Mediacenter (Version 12), that also is updating tags, should I change entries in its database.

Now, with Asset-UPNP, I am finally able to read composer-tags (which due to Twonky's lack of full flac support I could not use and was forced to set composer=artist). Now I am starting to re-tag my whole collection with proper entries for (track) artist, album artist, composer, conductor, original artist, lyricist etc.

Now, the following is happening:
    When I re-tag Album Artist with dBpowerams "Edit ID-Tag", this tag is not displayed in the "Album Artist"-field of Tag&Rename. If I enter a value there, it seems to show up as "ENSEMBLE" in "Edit ID-Tag".
    But: if I create a custom entry "Ensemble" in dBpoweramp and enter something there, this does NOT show up as an entry in "Album Artist" of T&R.
    I also fear, that this might conflict with JRiver Mediacenter, since I have a custom value "Ensemble" there to distinguish between Orchestras.

Also: JRiver Mediacenter cannot read the track- and album-gain values of dBpoweramp, but dBpoweramp seems to be able to read these tags, when they are created by JRM... When I let JRM analyze the audio to create gain-values, they get updated and the tags do show up in dBpoweramp in all capital letters.

Now my questions:
    - is there a binding naming-convention, that Tag&Rename and JRM are not following properly?
    - are tags case-sensitive? If so, do some programs just ignore that or would they not recognize a tag, if not "cased" properly to their "expectations"?
    - is this a flac-related problem, are tags for WMA and mp3 different?

I'd also would kindly ask for advice on how to do a proper, naming-convention-appropriate re-tagging of my older files - should I drop using Tag&Rename? Are there better alternatives (I love T&R's Amazon Cover-Lookup and batch-renaming possibilities)

Thanks for helping!

Administrator

Re: Problematic naming conventions for Flac-tags: different in various programs???

>- is there a binding naming-convention, that Tag&Rename and JRM are not following properly?

No, that is the problem with vorbis comments, the lack of standard for even album artist.

BTW we use 'ALBUMARTIST' which is now the standard for Sonos and Logitech not to mention many programs. "ENSEMBLE" is used by very few programs AFAIK.

> are tags case-sensitive?

No, according to the Vorbis comments spec.

>are tags for WMA and mp3 different?

Yes they use different tags.

Re: Problematic naming conventions for Flac-tags: different in various programs???

The problem is that flac support free tag name and value. This is not easily supported by program like Tag&rename as they have a 'fixed' interface and naming. They should create a flexible interface to be able to read/rename/edit flac tagfields

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    >
    No, that is the problem with vorbis comments, the lack of standard for even album artist.

BTW we use 'ALBUMARTIST' which is now the standard for Sonos and Logitech not to mention many programs. "ENSEMBLE" is used by very few programs AFAIK.
    Any chance we'll see more comment mappings, best bet freely definable ?
    I do ask because there's quite a bunch of garbage within my collection.
    Would need some sort of tag-rewriter tough but that could be done by simply addin something unused (identifier) and remove that identifer using some other tools.
    I'm currently not aware if dbp would allow me to do some sort of "tag rewrite/clean" which would then for example allow me to modify tags of some 1000 tracks so that afterwards all 'album artist' and 'ensemble' entries get turned into 'albumartist'.

Administrator

Yes dbpoweramp can with ID Tag Update and the mapping options.