title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: No Tag Help

No Tag Help

I have ripped ~300 CDs in WAV for my Squeezebox, and now find that a 'better' format is FLAC, so am using the trial version of dbpoweramp to batch convert them.

All of the tag info shows up in itunes, but none of it shows up on the converted file, nor does it show up when I right click the WAV file in Windows Explorer and select ID-Tag. I know the tags are stored with the files because I can read them all in iTunes.

I'm not a computer newbie, but am flummoxed by how to convert the WAV files I have to FLAC preserving all of the tag information. HELLLLP!!!

Many thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: No Tag Help

Hard to understand what your problem really is, so a guess: are you expecting FLAC files to show up with artist etc. in Windows Explorer? You can't, I think -- Micro$oft refuses to consider FLAC a media file format.

But playing etc works as you're used to.

Even in dbpower amp, when I right click on the WAV file, the Edit ID-Tag says <Contains no ID-Tags> and all the fields are blank.

Thanks for responding and I truly appreciate any help you can provide.

iTunes probably keeps the WAV files tags in an internal database that dMC cannot access, hence why the files have no tags themselves.

I can't possibly be the first person to have experienced this problem . . . with 400 CDs ripped and the tags resident somewhere, isn't there some way to associate the data with the WAV files? I can find nothing in posts or threads anywhere.

Thanks again for your help.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by WBW View Post
    I can't possibly be the first person to have experienced this problem . . . with 400 CDs ripped and the tags resident somewhere, isn't there some way to associate the data with the WAV files? I can find nothing in posts or threads anywhere.

Thanks again for your help.
    If you ripped the WAV files using iTunes, iTunes may not have tag support for WAV and may simply have stored the metadata inside its own internal database...and did not store the info in the WAV files itself. Same deal with the album art.

-brendan

So what I'm wondering is whether there's a way to associate the metadata with the WAV files (since it all shows up in iTunes) by pulling that data out of iTunes.

Not that I'm aware of, no. However, how are the files named and placed? As in, are they in an artist and album folder, does the filename include the track and title?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi,

If you can script, you can get at the data. MediaMonkey can/should import the data.

Daz

thanks, all. I ended up going through each of the files with Tag and Rename which took about 3 hours. Another 'walled garden' bogus move by apple with iTunes.