title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2008

Administrator

Re: CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List 2008

If your system has any sort of virtual CD drive which is used to rip a CD your results will not appear in the database.

Hi All,

Is there a way to know which of the top drives in this list is external (USB-attached)?

I read that LiteON was generally good; so I bought a DX-20A4PU. It seems to read data CDs ok and to burn ok. However, it errors out with "unreadable frames" on at least one track of practically every other CD that I try to rip with dBpoweramp. This does not strike me as normal.

Any ideas for a good external drive to dedicate to ripping? Internal is out of the question because my office Core2 Duo laptop is my only machine.

Thanks,
    Bruce

Isn't the Pioneer 115D and 215 exactly the same drive except the interface and RAM burning support? How is it possible that the 215 belongs to the best and the 115 to the worst drives? I have a 215D and it would be interested, if it is like the 215 oder more like the 115D?

Although the statistics are very interesting, I don't think this is a very good test. There are a lot of variables unaccounted for in this test a better test would be to take a relatively damaged cd and use a trusted control group to test drives on the same disc, then we'll have a good representation although there are factors that depend on the drive's condition and age.

Administrator

I agree, but this is as good as a wide test can be, and some drives have 200-300 users of that drive model, so any variances would be balanced on those drives with large user counts.

That's true, I was just implying that there is no clear winner.

Question GSA-T10N innacurrate submissions does it matter?

Spoon,

the list of drives shows mine (HL-DT-ST - DVDRAM GSA-T10N) to be one of the least accurate, but does it matter?

I am using EAC and all of the discs I have ripped so far (bar some hideously scratched examples that won't play without skipping on a regular CD player) show 100% accuracy with the data base.

Surely if my rips match those on the data base, all is well - or have I missed something?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: GSA-T10N innacurrate submissions does it matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakiriad View Post
    Spoon,

the list of drives shows mine (HL-DT-ST - DVDRAM GSA-T10N) to be one of the least accurate, but does it matter?

I am using EAC and all of the discs I have ripped so far (bar some hideously scratched examples that won't play without skipping on a regular CD player) show 100% accuracy with the data base.

Surely if my rips match those on the data base, all is well - or have I missed something?
    No, it doesn't matter if it matches accuraterip, it is fine. This list is just to help people decide which drives might help with problem discs.

Many thanks EliC.

Spoon, when do you plan on doing this test again?

Because a lot of drives are discontinued including mine which did pretty well in this test.

Administrator

We moved the database to a new format so would require a fair amount of work to reimplement it. We I get a 'low' in demands

For anyone wondering if you can actually buy any of the drives in most accurate list, let me save you some time: not easily. I went through the entire list today (took some time) and not a single one is for sale at Newegg. Not that it's the only source out there, but I would think it is at least representative. I also checked on ebay for a few but quickly gave up. Zip. :cry:

So the list is interesting, but rather academic unless you happen to already own one of them. I'm not complaining per se; product SKUs change frequently in computerland, and people generally don't replace an optical drive unless it dies or they're building a new system. Still, I was rather surprised that nothing in there seems to be currently available.

From all your numbers crunching what is the best machine to ad to my computers?I have a Lite-On and a Samsung write master SATA drive

I have twin PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-216D SCSI CdRom devices.

Unable to find my model in our database, I'm curious if anyone can point me to an alternate dBase of CD/DVD drive accuracy.

I'm brand new to this software and did my very best to set up the CD Ripper & AccurateRip. I'm at best marginally computer literate and not self-deprecating. That said, I did manage to rip my first commercial CD. I'm presently listening to the FLAC with foobar2000. There is a point to my anecdote: is this website the best place for a novice like me to learn dBpoweramp or should my naivete point me elsewhere?

Thanks for taking the time to read my query.

Quote Originally Posted by pangit View Post
    For anyone wondering if you can actually buy any of the drives in most accurate list, let me save you some time: not easily. ...

Still, I was rather surprised that nothing in there seems to be currently available.
    I think the fact that users with multiple drives are excluded means the list is not going to be updated very often now in 2010. Most people I know use virtual drives - I don't know if this is typical, but I think it is very common at least.

Best Regards,
    Richard.