title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Secure Ripping - What does it mean

Secure Ripping - What does it mean

I currently have set my Ripping process to use the 'Secure' process. Can someone tell me what that does and what the results mean.

I currently ripped a CD, that went through 2 passes, then went to the 'Ultra Secure' pass. It went through this twice and then the UI says:

"X AR (100) Secure" --- (There is a green check mark before "secure")

1. Does this mean that the rip of that track was successful and matched 100 other rips that were submitted to accurate rip?

2. What does it mean if it goes to the "Ultra Secure" pass and starts re-ripping frames? At the end it has a Secure Check too.

3. Is there a specific reason why I would want to set the "End after clean passes" setting to be more than 1.

4. What does the "Individual Bad Frames" setting do? Does it read only those bad frames or the whole track again? What is a good setting for this.

Thanks in Advance
    Last edited by ronaksf; 12-03-2008 at 02:10 AM.

Administrator

Re: Secure Ripping - What does it mean

1. Yes
    2. Generally the disc was not in AccurateRip
    3. Some drives mask errors, not too common but does happen,
    4. Only those frames identified with errors.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ronaksf View Post
    2. What does it mean if it goes to the "Ultra Secure" pass and starts re-ripping frames? At the end it has a Secure Check too.
    It means that a few frames were troublesome and had to be re-ripped individually. Then those frames -- and those frames only -- are re-ripped until you get 10 matches, subject to a maximum set in the preferences.

It ends up as Secure? Secure (Warning) then, I presume.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Wow, I just moved from Burst to Secure and on my second disk the very last track of a disc that looks pristine it went into this frame ripping mode and said 1460 frames. It's been at it now for 15 minutes and is down to 1100 frames to go. OUCH.

I'd like to see an option that drills down to this level in stages. Going from burst to an hour is pretty intense.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    Wow, I just moved from Burst to Secure and on my second disk the very last track of a disc that looks pristine it went into this frame ripping mode and said 1460 frames. It's been at it now for 15 minutes and is down to 1100 frames to go. OUCH.

I'd like to see an option that drills down to this level in stages. Going from burst to an hour is pretty intense.
    What drive make/model/firmware?

-brendan

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

It's one of the cheaper Samsung drives. I forget the model number now.

Device manager shows it as SH-S203B.

It took an hour and 20 minutes after which the track was Accurate which was NICE to see.

I had a nice Plextor burner but they are not what they used to be. One died after a month so I got it replaced by the store and another month later it died too. I called Plextor and their response was, "Yeah, they do that. Sorry."

That was the end of my paying through the nose for their stuff. In the old days they'd have FedEx'ed me a replacement and apologized.

dBpoweramp Guru

I wonder if somehow there is a drive bug that caused it to lose Accurate Stream somewhere in the middle of the last track.

-brendan

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Well, I decided to throw a track with a clear error at it. It came up with 2,400 frames it wants to re-do. 19 minutes in it's at 2200. This will be a long while.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Is this typical? 2 hours 12 minutes and the 2,400 is now at 1,825. At this pace it'll take 7 hours to complete.

Administrator

No track should really have more than 300 frames (unless disc is very damaged), high numbers indicate like bhoar suggests that the accuratestream is lost and the drive aquires a new offset whilst ripping.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    No track should really have more than 300 frames (unless disc is very damaged), high numbers indicate like bhoar suggests that the accuratestream is lost and the drive aquires a new offset whilst ripping.
    The SH-S203B is supposedly a good ripper. What firmware level is it running? Perhaps it needs an update.

-brendan

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

It's likely older. I've never updated it. Time to go checking on how to do that.

I finally had to stop the process. My whole system was grinding to a halt and the number got stuck around 1,750.

UPDATE: I was at version SB01 and SB03 was on the site so I just updated. We'll see if that has any impact.
    Last edited by Agrajag; 12-11-2008 at 07:16 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Well, so much for that theory.... SB03 firmware on that disc (just the one track) and it went to 4,200 frames.

Looking at the disc out near the edge of the disc there is, parallel to the edge itself, a pretty decent mark that goes about 1/4 of the diameter of the disc. This is the last track and if memory serves, CD's go from inner to outer edge.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post
    Well, so much for that theory.... SB03 firmware on that disc (just the one track) and it went to 4,200 frames.

Looking at the disc out near the edge of the disc there is, parallel to the edge itself, a pretty decent mark that goes about 1/4 of the diameter of the disc. This is the last track and if memory serves, CD's go from inner to outer edge.
    How many of your discs exhibit this behavior?

I have the SH-S202N and SH-S222L models here.

Those with the SH-S20 prefix are Samsung's older 20x DVD-R write speed line.
    Those with the SH-S22 prefix are Samsung's newer 22x DVD-R write speed line.

The next number of the model number, "2", means PATA, while your drive has "3" for SATA.

The next character, "B" or "N" or "L" is a revision or feature designator. Your "B" is the first generation of the US market feature set for the SH-S20, my "N" is the second generation of the US market feature set for the SH-S20.

(the "L" is the first generation feature set for the SH-S22, I think)

I've noted that on slightly damaged discs, my SH-S20 model tends to find 4x-5x as many C2 errors as the SH-S22 finds, yet both end up with accurate rips in the end if the damage is light. It may be the case that the C2 flagging algorithm on the SH-S20 is flagging additional false positive or phantom C2 errors surrounding the real C2 errors. That's my current hypothesis.

-brendan

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

So far only two have had issues this bad. For the record, I'm 44 and some of these discs go back to first-issue time periods in the 80's.

I have no doubt that some of the discs are in questionable shape. Thankfully, I'm through about 80% of my collection now and none have been unreadable. In fact, my biggest issue has been where a few of my discs went! The case is here but no disc. I don't think the Ripper is going to fix that error problem.

One thing I'd love to see somewhere down the line if the industry ever gets a clue is the ability to determind exactly what frames are bad and get those from a huge library. The industry, of course, would rather I just buy another copy. In this case that's why I live SecondSpin (used CD's). No way am I paying these guys again for the same thing.

My biggest issue with the ripper, as is, is that after doing hundreds of discs I'm never sure what it's telling me when something is wrong and what the right path should be for attempting to address it. It's all comes off as cryptic.

It'd be VERY helpful if, upon finding errors, I could right-click and choose something like, "Details" to find out what I should do.

127GB and growing..... Boy do I need to buy a cheap drive and put it in an enclosure to back all this up. If I lost it in a crash I'd jump....
    Last edited by Agrajag; 12-12-2008 at 11:29 AM.