title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Apple Lossless Options

Cool Apple Lossless Options

I am in the process of deciding which codec to use (Apple Losless or FLAC).

I notice that I can select the compression level setting for FLAC so that I can get smaller files after ripping, can the same be done anywhere for Apple Lossless?

Administrator

Re: Apple Lossless Options

Apple lossless does not come with such options.

My feeling is that the compression level isn't worth worrying about with any lossless format. With storage so cheap these days, I don't think it's worth worrying about saving 250K of space on a lossless file. Note also that the higher compression levels take more time to rip. I think just using the default is fine.

The only two advantages I can see for Apple Lossless over FLAC is that it works on all iPods, plus it works on Macs and Windows. But that's a big advantage for a lot of people.

dBpoweramp Guru

Also remember that when ripping to lossless, you can always recompress later without penalty. If you're worried that using high lossless compression is going to slow down your rip process, then use medium or even low level of compression. Later you can use the batch converter to recompress to high compression overnight.

-brendan