title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: ReplayGain Utility Codec question

ReplayGain Utility Codec question

I'm sorry for the noob question, but I just want to make sure of something. If I run the ReplayGain Utility Codec on all my files, this in no way affects the sound quality or the file, just the metadata correct? If I don't like the results, all that would have to be done to return the files to the original state would be deleting the replaygain tags right? Does the same hold true for using the replaygain DSP in the CD Ripper for future rips?

Administrator

Re: ReplayGain Utility Codec question

Yes only the ID Tags. Correct (about removing the tags).

Thanks for quick response. I always get nervous about doing anything that isn't reversible and lossless.

What is NOT reversible in regards to ReplayGain is the ReplayGain option in the Volume Normalize DSP or the "Apply ReplayGain" DSP in beta currently.

OK, I processed all my CD's overnight last night. I selected finding album gain based on Album ID and not all in batch. For some reason every track in my library now has the same album gain and album peak (17000+ tracks). What could have caused this?

Do your albums have matching album tags on all the files in that album?

Yes, all if them do. I am pretty obsessive when it comes to keeping my tags straight. Just as a test, I just arranged the whole library with the Arrange Audio codec and not one track is without an album tag.
    Last edited by pillshovel; 11-22-2008 at 06:12 PM.

I just tested again with MediaMonkey's ReplayGain on a copy of the same files. All albums got a different level, so something about my files is causing trouble for the ReplayGain Codec. I had much rather use dMC than MediaMonkey for this and would appreciate any help possible.

dBpoweramp Guru

I've had trouble before simply because of spaces at the end of the album title. I don't notice this if I sort the files, etc. by title because even with an extra space or two, the sorting puts all the songs in the album together. However, any computer program, including DBPoweramp, is very specific and sees the title with blank spaces at the end as a DIFFERENT album. In fact, I just had that issue today with replaygain. Fixed the album name on all files and everything worked as planned.

Thanks, that was a good suggestion, unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the problem for me.

Anymore ideas?