title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

FLAC and MP3: track ReplayGain the same?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wierzbowski
    • Oct 2008

FLAC and MP3: track ReplayGain the same?

I'm using the multi encoder to do FLAC and MP3 in the same pass. I also have the RG DSP effect set for each encoder (not in the main DSP tab) to calculate track gain only. On all the CDs I've ripped so far, the track gain and peak are the same for each pair of FLAC and MP3 files. Does that seem right? Or should there be some variance between the RG calculated for the FLACs and MP3s? Thanks!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: FLAC and MP3: track ReplayGain the same?

Multi encoder cannot calculate seperate gains, you would be best to run the [replaygain] utility codec after encoding.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• wierzbowski
      • Oct 2008

Is there any way to do multi encoding and RG in an automated fashion? As far as I can tell I would have to run the RG utility codec manually after each CD is ripped. Or I guess I could wait until I've ripped all my CDs and then batch process the RG for all files, but my goal is to process each CD completely the first time it goes into the system. I know, it's a lofty goal. Thanks!

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Running RG at the end is the best.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• wierzbowski
          • Oct 2008

Okay, I will multi encode first, then batch the RG for all the files when I'm finished ripping. Thanks for the info!

Comment

• TomS
            • Jan 2009

To get flac and mp3 each with their proper replay gain info in the header, I am currently:

1. ripping to flac with RG from cd (using cd ripper)
            2. convert to mp3 with RG (using batch converter)

Does it make any difference (or is it more efficient) to do it this way or better to use multi encoder to rip both flac/mp3 and then run RG utility codec on both flac/mp3?

If the latter, can I multiencode with RG and then rerun RG on the mp3 (the second codec)?

Thanks,

Tom

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

I would think that applying RG while ripping the CD or converting to mp3 would be faster than running the RG utility codec over the whole thing.

Comment

• HalfBit
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Spoon
                Multi encoder cannot calculate seperate gains, you would be best to run the [replaygain] utility codec after encoding.
                I appologize for a question from a Newbie. I read your excellent CD Ripping guide AFTER ripping a bunch of disks. I was familiar with running MP3 gain after ripping via EAC to MP3s, and figured that was the best method for the FLACS I was in the process of ripping with dBpoweramp. Then I read that I should have envoked the ReplayGain DSP before starting the rip process.

It sounds like post-rip determination and tagging with the ReplayGain DSP is not only possible, but best practice. Could you start me in the right direction to do that, and comment on why? If I got it right, you might want to include that suggestion in the CD Ripping guide.

Thanks for an excellent program and your support.

Comment

• eboyer93
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Apr 2008

I think there is a way to scan files after rip.

I believe foobar2000 can do it.

Comment

• LtData
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

You can use the utility [Replaygain] codec to add the RG tags to your files after rip/conversion without requiring a conversion.

Comment

• djs777
                      • Mar 2009

I converted lots of .m4a files into mp3 and flac files via multiencoder with just track gain DSP selected, and then I realized I should have also selected album gain using the album ID tag. But when I used the RG utility codec using converter, this just took the track gain values and copied them into the album gain fields - meaning the album gain and peak values for each song are identical to the song's track gain and peak gain values. So this tells me it didn't calculate or look anything up as I expected but just did a cut and paste. When I rip disks I never see the same values for track and album gain in any file, as one would expect.

I have all of the latest downloads from this site (as of 3/22/09), including 13.2 beta, and have the reference version. I get the result described above regardless of how many files I process at once.

Any ideas what is going on? I really don't want to reconvert all of these files because of the tremendous amount of time that'll take, and I thought the RG utility codec was intended to do what I'm attempting. Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

"but just did a cut and paste"

It would not do a copy and paste, rather it is somehow detectiing each track as an individual album, not grouping the tracks together, is the album title set correctly?
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• djs777
                          • Mar 2009

I believe so, but since these were converted files, how can I independently and electronically verify that? I can confirm they all have populated album tags and they seem to be correct upon visual inspection. I have about 8400 tracks, and not a single one had the album gain applied other than with what appeared to be what I meant to call "copy and paste".

I did what I guess could be called an electronic check by selecting one CD that was included in the .m4a files, ripped it, and it had track and album replaygains that were different and thus appeared OK. In this case, the album tags appeared identical between the ripped files and the album tags in the .m4a files.

Another thought - do I need to select and include all of the tracks of an album when using the replaygain utility codec to properly apply an album gain? That's something I did not do. I can't try this right now as a test, but must one run RG utility codec on all of the tracks of an album at once to get the album replaygain applied correctly?
                          Last edited by djs777; 03-25-2009, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• djs777
                            • Mar 2009

update: I just tested running RG utility codec on groups of files from a single album. It clearly will calculate an album gain based on data it sees on whatever files are selected for the run with the same album tag.

So the album replaygain I get when running just one file is a dupe of of the track gain, and if I include two tracks from the same album then it will calc an album gain off the data in those two files. And if I include 3 from the same album, then the album replaygain for all 3 files changes and is applied to the 3 files, and so forth.

So it seems a requirement that one must include ALL of the tracks of an album in a single run of the RG utility codec to get the album gain applied such that the album gain for all tracks on an album are the same. If this is the case, I recommend enhancing the help file to clarify.

Thanks for a great product!

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

That is correct yes, the calculation must be done for all files together.
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>