title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: RipNas essentials ripping errors

Re: RipNas essentials ripping errors

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    I have seen it on a single drive model with no duplication.
    ok. that pretty much rules out an issue with Drive Extender then.

Administrator

I would not say so, even on single drive systems the system will write through the drive extender interface, the files all need logging in the internal database, so that when a 2nd drive is added it can be balanced.

You're right nothing is absolute. There's always a possiblity that DE has a hand in it since this issue does seem to apply only to WHS. In fact, most issues I've seen while testing WHS have been related to DE in some way.

Have anyone tried writing to the share path instead of to the D: location? MS recommends not using the local path (d:\shares\sharename) but instead only writing files via share path (\\server\sharename). In general, DE will try to keep the d:\shares\ path empty of anything except for pointers to actual file locations. In a single drive system all of the actual data is stored in d:\DE\shares\sharename path. It could be that DE is trying to replace the in-use file with a reparse point while the encoder still thinks it has write access.

Administrator

Tried \\server\sharename but made no difference, actually the issue shows when writing to drive C: which should not be using extender in anyway...

Yep. writing to a directory on C: should avoid DE all together. The only oddity about C: is the \fs directory with the mount points to the drives in the storage pool.

Is there a particular configuration that is guaranteed to fail every time? (I'm thinking simple repro steps for MS.)

Administrator

Yes I forwarded an email to MS, but got no response. It also has to do with threading and priority, in that if you have a back-ground process just converting flac >> wma it does not fail, but a process / thread attached to a CD drive seems to make the WMA encoder fail, but not the background one.

If it's specific to Home Server I'd recommend filing a bug via connect
    That will get it registered as an issue and others can verify it, vote on criticality, etc.

I have been without my HP Mediasmart server for some months due to various faults. This week I have got it back and working, and I think I have been having the problem discussed in this thread. I have switched off multi-encoder, and now the log shows accurate rips, but the main screen in WHS Console shows no evidence that the software is working - Status remains idle throughout ripping, nothing appears in the "previously ripped column".

I am perplexed!

Administrator

There should be a folder C:\RipNAS-Results on the HP, is it there?

Yes...

Administrator

and in this folder should be a file ripped.bin, is it there and what is its size?

This problem seems to have resolved itself spontaneously while I was away over the weekend. If it recurs I will come back to this thread - thanks for your help!

Hi, are there any updates to this issue? I recently purchased RipNas Essentials and also having problems encoding in mp3 or m4a. Like others, FLAC seems to work ok. I am using my Windows Home Server as a headless unit and so realizing there have been error after ripping over 50 disks is quite frustrating.

After reading the thread, it sounds like the culprit is WHS's Disk Extender, but doesn't Illustrate sell a WHS box with RipNAS installed? Does that package have the same problem? Or is RipNAS Essential different software than what's installed in the RipNAS unit? I was planning to upgrade to the RipNAS Secure software with the TEAC drive, but will that also experience the same issues?

Having used WHS for a while, I know Microsoft warns of writing directly to D:\ and recommend using \\Server\Path, however, when I tried to put that path in the destination, I get errors.

Please help!

Hammer8

Administrator

>Does that package have the same problem?

No, it seems hardware dependant.

You can insert a DSP effect 'Non Live' to stop the encoding whilst the CD drive is reading.