title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Batch Ripper technical suggestions

dBpoweramp Guru

Batch Ripper technical suggestions

Spoon - I'll start with a somewhat esoteric suggestion of allowing the disc recognition timeout in the batch ripper to be end user controllable either via a config setting ...or a "pseudo" command line option in the loader configuration screen.

There seems to be a hardcoded timeout of xx seconds that starts from the time a load.exe exits normally to the time the batch ripper assumes no disc was inserted. In this time, it presumably asks the drive to spin up the disc and return several types of information.

I've noticed that some drives naturally take a short amount of time to do this, while others drives can take a long amount of time (and the time can be dependent on external factors).

In addition, some filter drivers (AnyDVD comes to mind), when active, can significantly add to the recognition delay.

Under some combinations of more than one of a) a slow-to-ready drive, b) certain filter drivers, and c) the drive state that the load.exe left the drive in when exiting...the time-to-readiness can exceed the hardcoded timeout in the batch ripper.

This can be mitigated by disabling filter drivers, etc., but I am finding, as I optimize some of my drive handling routines in the ULCLI and build some througput optimized versions of my drivers...I end up having to insert some manual time delays under certain circumstances, delays which may be drive specific. E.g. such as when I asynchronously ask for the drive to close/disc to spin up and immediately exit the load.exe.

It'd be nicer if I could just tell end users to increase their disc recognition time vs. having to make script adjustments that vary from drive to drive.

-brendan

PS - while testing, accuraterip has, yet again, paused a robotic batch session with a dialog asking me to submit my accuraterip results. Can this be somehow avoided in the middle of batch sessions other than disabling submission reminders entirely? An answer of RTFM is acceptable if it is likely to work.

Administrator

Re: Batch Ripper technical suggestions

The delay is 30 seconds for a disk to appear, if it appears sooner there is no slow-down, but really if it is more than 30 seconds there is something wrong on the system (or a bad unreadable disc which should be ejected).

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    The delay is 30 seconds for a disk to appear, if it appears sooner there is no slow-down, but really if it is more than 30 seconds there is something wrong on the system (or a bad unreadable disc which should be ejected).
    Well, how much time would you expect PerfectMeta to take? If I say "3 minutes" it does sound extreme, but from my experience it does indeed happen from time to time. Just those annoying idiosyncracies.

Quote Originally Posted by bhoar View Post
    PS - while testing, accuraterip has, yet again, paused a robotic batch session with a dialog asking me to submit my accuraterip results. Can this be somehow avoided in the middle of batch sessions other than disabling submission reminders entirely?
    AutoITing a "submit" whenever the dialog pops up, and leave it in the background for three months? Of course, you cannot record the window details until next time :D

(Myself I only have a few hundred CDs left, will be done well within the next occurence.)
    Last edited by Porcus; 10-23-2008 at 08:00 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Ok. Well then I'll need to add some additional-delay-before-exit option to my loader drivers, I suppose.

-brendan