title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

The update blues again!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oldtimer
    • Aug 2007

The update blues again!

I have installed this STUPID app for the last time. It is always some major snag. I have learned to keep a copy of CDgrapper because the install process deletes it and does not put in a new one. This time I updated and upgraded and now it still thinks I am not registered. I would assume and probably incorrectly that when I bought and download a registered copy the app would be registered.:cry:
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: The update blues again!

Not if you install the trial version over the registered version (can it remember if you registered it), if you want to upgrade visit here:

Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Wayne
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Aug 2002

I have never had any problems upgrading dMC and I have been using it since version 10. I always ensure that I retain a local copy of the installation executable on my harddrive in the event I have to reinstall it.

Comment

• oldtimer
        • Aug 2007

Originally posted by oldtimer
        I have installed this STUPID app for the last time. It is always some major snag. I have learned to keep a copy of CDgrapper because the install process deletes it and does not put in a new one. This time I updated and upgraded and now it still thinks I am not registered. I would assume and probably incorrectly that when I bought and download a registered copy the app would be registered.:cry:
        Correction, actually, what happened was the install (I did not uninstall because that has lost features with me before) removed the right click to convert feature which used to be how I used the converter 9 out of 10 times. The ripper and batch converter works as expected.

I am extremely annoyed that the most expensive app of its kind should be so bug riddled. And that bugs get more numerous than less numerous from year to year. It is really not worth it.:cry:

Comment

• bhoar
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2006

Note that the right-click convert is implemented via an explorer addon. Did you reboot immediately after the upgrade? My understanding is that, as part of the process of upgrading explorer addons as mandated by microsoft, startup code is put into place that runs during a reboot to remove the old addon and replace it with the new one.

If you don't follow the process exactly (upgrade, immediate reboot) but instead do something out of order (upgrade, upgrade again, reboot), you can end up with conflicting startup code and this can lead to the explorer addon not being installed.

-brendan

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Also be aware that Windows Explorer decides which right click items to show, some are automatically hidden if there are too many on the system, there is no priority or order to the ones it hides.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• oldtimer
              • Aug 2007

Thanks! You have given me food for thought. I may not have have rebooted right afterwords. I guess that will teach me.

Comment

Working...

]]>