title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: ReadyNAS support

dBpoweramp Guru

ReadyNAS support

I realize it is probably a pie in the sky wish, but I recently went with a readynas instead of a WHS and would love to see a secure ripnas solution for the netgear readynas appliances.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: ReadyNAS support

Quote Originally Posted by Teknojnky View Post
    I realize it is probably a pie in the sky wish, but I recently went with a readynas instead of a WHS and would love to see a secure ripnas solution for the netgear readynas appliances.
    Yeah, that's unlikely:

1. They run linux.
    2. All, except the new ReadyNAS Pro, don't run on Intel or AMD CPUs, but instead, a custom risc-type CPU
    3. They only connect drives via USB and (at the moment) have no support, at all, for optical drives.

-brendan

dBpoweramp Guru

Ah, I knew about 1 & 2, but was not aware of *3. Seems odd, I would expect any linux build with usb support, to support most any usb removable drive.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Teknojnky View Post
    Ah, I knew about 1 & 2, but was not aware of *3. Seems odd, I would expect any linux build with usb support, to support most any usb removable drive.
    Er, well, I didn't mean to be misleading. My point was that they do not officially support optical drives.

I have no idea what happens when you hook up an optical drive to the USB port on ReadyNAS units. I've never done so. It may load the proper kernel module and make the device available like on other distros.

Now that the design is open enough to give people shell access, perhaps someone has installed properly compiled utilities to work with optical drives on them.

-brendan