title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Bit-perfect bin/cue files: possible??

Question Bit-perfect bin/cue files: possible??

What is the best way to generate a bit-perfect / accurate / secure rip of an audio CD (or DVD) to create a perfect bin/cue file of the disc?

I do not want to encode it (mp3 or flac or...) at this point. Just want to archive the disc perfectly and encode it later.

A command line mode would be ideal as I plan to use robotics to do the job.

Thanks for your help!
    iamnemo

Re: Bit-perfect bin/cue files: possible??

Do note that dMC currently cannot generate/read bin/cue files. I have heard some users state that they use EAC to generate the bin/cue file and dMC to rip. However, as I have not done this myself, I cannot really assist further.

Thank you for your reply. Are there any plans to add accurate bin/cue (or any other open archive format) generation to dMC? Is it even imaginable? Maybe as a plug-in?

My dream system would be to have all my CDs (even Enhanced CDs, CD+G, etc.) securely archived in a bit-perfect compressed non-proprietary format and a virtual jukebox database player program to locate and play any track straight from the archives with no need to encode for PC-based playback.

Of course one could also batch-encode to lossless (e.g. FLAC) or lossy (e.g. mp3) formats or even to stream straight from the archive files.

I'm I dreaming? Is anyone here doing something like that? IamNemo

Yes, cue/bin support is being worked on as a DSP effect, but no timeframe has been stated for when it's due.

Talking Re: Bit-perfect bin/cue files: possible??

Wow, this is fantastic news!! :D Where can I learn more about this? Thanks! IamNemo

Right now, it's still in development. When it is released to beta, it should appear in the Beta section of this forum.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by IamNemo View Post
    What is the best way to generate a bit-perfect / accurate / secure rip of an audio CD (or DVD) to create a perfect bin/cue file of the disc?

I do not want to encode it (mp3 or flac or...) at this point. Just want to archive the disc perfectly and encode it later.
    I did consider using images with cuesheets myself, but abandoned it because of
    - Re-ripping issues -- I have bought so many second-hand doubtful CDs that need to be re-ripped for one track or so. Much more convenient to rip as single tracks then.
    - Issues with Hidden Track One.
    - Issues with EnhancedCDs and such. How to embed data?
    - Not supported by dBpoweramp, which offers superior metadata quality (I use a changer and batchripping, see my signature) -- I realise now that I could have hacked together something which would use EAC to rip to images and dBpoweramp to retrieve metadata and then transfer, but that didn't happen when I started and now I only have a few hundred left.
    - I can convert to images with cuesheets later if I want. Indeed, I think Spoon has mentioned that this is how he intends to implement images/cuesheets in dBpoweramp.

If you still want images -- before dBpoweramp supports it -- then you can either use a tool that converts (EAC or foobar2000 I think, but beware of HTOA issues) or use EAC directly, which can also encode to FLAC images. FLAC images with cuesheets are -- qua lossless -- just as good as wav images with cuesheets, plus they offer better metadata capabilities and save you ~1/3 of the space.
    Last edited by Porcus; 09-27-2008 at 05:03 AM.

Smile Re: Bit-perfect bin/cue files: possible??

Thank you so much Porcus for this very valuable information! Nice to see that someone has already gone down that path and identified all the obstacles

May I ask what you meant by I could have hacked together something which would use EAC to rip to images and dBpoweramp to retrieve metadata and then transfer ? How would you go about it?

I also have a Sony VGP-XL1B(3) and a Powerfile C200 changer so I'm also interested in your dBoink script :D Where can I find the latest version? So far I have experimented a bit with dBPowerAmp 's Batch Ripper which worked pretty well to create FLAC files but, today, does not create image files.

Thank you for your help! Regards, Iam Nemo

Thank you Lt. ! Regards, Nemo (the captain, not the fish!) ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by LtData View Post
    Right now, it's still in development. When it is released to beta, it should appear in the Beta section of this forum.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by IamNemo View Post
    May I ask what you meant by I could have hacked together something which would use EAC to rip to images and dBpoweramp to retrieve metadata and then transfer ? How would you go about it?
    Oh, sorry I didn't see this. Know it's been a month.

-> There was an application which did the same thing for EAC; it was a mod of the REACT script (the self-explanatory name "Run EAC Task"), which I didn't get to work properly (I believe that if you just turn off freedb interaction in EAC, you save yourself a great deal of user interaction).

-> Among other things, it can by a single keystroke rip to image -- then EAC will rip and then invoke the FLAC encoder (assuming that this is what you wish); for an image, post-rip encoding takes some time. I think you can monitor the EAC statusbar to see when it is finished.

-> You could in principle have EAC and dBpoweramp both up; (1) invoke EAC's "rip to image"; (2) when done ripping with EAC, do one rip with dBpoweramp (for your purposes, a burst rip with fastest FLAC encoding would do -- you are not interested in the files!), (3) wait until both EAC is done encoding and dBpoweramp done ripping, (4) move the EAC image "untitled.flac" (or whatever) to the most-recently-written-to dBpoweramp folder and change its name to <foldername>.flac. Then post-batch, or immediately, (5) use metaflac to extract dBpoweramp's written tags. (Actually I don't know how image tags looks like -- maybe that's what cuesheets are good for? Cuesheets are text files, so they are easily created.)

As for my application, see my signature.