title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Replaygain errors

Replaygain errors

Overnight I ran a script to add replaygain metadata to around 450 albums I'd ripped with Batch Ripper. The script is perl-based and the only time I've seen it throw error messages is if a FLAC file is corrupted.

Looking at the log, a few files failed with the following error message from metaflac.exe: ERROR: resolution of 16 bps does not match previous files' 24 bps

This message only appeared three times out of a total of 6,756 FLAC files. Testing the files in question via "flac -t" returns ok, so I'm wondering whether there is perhaps some kind of bug in the FLAC encoding module used by DBP or BR that makes the bps look different? I'll rerip said tracks to wav and encode them using FLAC at the command line and report back on my findings. Has anyone else encountered this?
    Last edited by egd; 08-31-2008 at 06:53 PM.

Administrator

Re: Replaygain errors

If you use dBpoweramp to convert the FLAC to wave with everything set (in wave) as 'as source' and those files come out as 16 bit, then they are 16 bit and the bug lies with the perl script. Bear in mind we use the official FLAC libraries (encoding and decoding), I am doubting the perl is official flac release.

Thanks, however, the script merely traverses the directory tree and calls the official metaflac to add replaygain data.

Spoon, given it's metaflac that's returning th error, any thoughts?

Administrator

What it means is some of your files are 24 bit some are 16 bit (not within a single file) but somewhere in your folders. Did you use the HDCD DSP?

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    What it means is some of your files are 24 bit some are 16 bit (not within a single file) but somewhere in your folders. Did you use the HDCD DSP?
    I don't believe so, albeit I should have because there were a number of HDCD's in the mix.