title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Ripping of EMI Cpy controlled CD's

Ripping of EMI Cpy controlled CD's

At this moment I am trying the Db CD Ripper program (downloaded the Ref evaluation version). Everything works fine. I have a couple of EMI Copy Controlled CD's (for example Norah Jones, Come fly with me/Feels like home) that are very hard to rip. It re-rips for a very long time. Some tracks make it to Accurate. If I change to "Defective by Design" it gets a lot smoother, but then I don't get an Accurate validation. What's the best way to rip such CD's?

Thanks, Ralph

Administrator

Re: Ripping of EMI Cpy controlled CD's

Generally speaking you are very lucky to get accurate on a copy controlled CD, personally I would rip in Defective by design.

You could use the demo version of AnyDVD from Slysoft. Just install the demo, rip all of your protected cd's and then uninstall...

I used AnyDVD to rip all of my protected cd's in my collection without any problems what so ever. I purchased a full version for ripping my dvd's but it works great for protected cd's and it doesn't need to run all of the time, just run it before you insert a protected cd.

Administrator

If a drive could not over-read th false TOC of the first session, then AnyDVD would not help.

Oh ya sorry, I wasn't thinking of the various other drives that still would not be able to achieve the rip.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Another current thread on this: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=17320

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

One of my drives didn't want to rip The Seekers' "A's B's and EP's" on EMI Gold. It just said 'Error' for the first few I started doing. I tried another drive, and it does give AccurateRip results for all the tracks I selected, but it had to do it in Pass 1, Pass 2, Secure and Ultra Secure, and then Re-Rip Frames. It showed my rips as matching 2 other Accurate ones, so they must be OK. I've only listened to a bit of one track and it sounds OK. I guess these rips must have worked. Mine has matched two other Secure Rips. I've previously managed to get these tracks to rip fine in iTunes with 'Error Correction', as mp3s (I'm doing lossless now).

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Next one I tried, "The Best of Eve Boswell", did the same although it isn't in the database so it was just Secure rips - except Track 25, which began to re-rip frames, and wouldn't go beyond the last 32. (Wonder if there's any way to recover these frames, or is it part of the Copy Protection?) I copied the CD image to a CD-R and managed to get the track. Luckily I'd already done Track 26, because on the copy, that one lasted for 12 minutes and had white noise for the duration after the song ended. These CDs were clearly made as CD-ROMs. It's odd because this title had already been issued originally in 1997 as normal, and I can't see that Eve Boswell would be high on bootleggers' lists. No wonder EMI got bought out...

dBpoweramp Guru

You are necromancing a very old thread, and now there is a separate subforum for defective-by-design. But these pesky quasi-CDs, I first try burst and then the DBD modes.

But i have had mispressings where what was supposed to be a data session comes through as white noise, and I am not sure if that is related to copy protection. One thing though: if you list the directory content (in a command window with dir d: or whatever your drive letter is), what does it say?