title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Help with understanding File Naming

Help with understanding File Naming

Hi All, I am new to this ripper (moving from EAC) but very impressed.

However I am struggling to understand the File naming method.

The default value is:

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]\[track] [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[artist]\ [album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][] [track] [title][]

But I haven’t been able to decode this and I can’t find any info on it. I might be able to work it out if I better understood the syntax but I don’t. HOw does it break down? which bits apply to what typres of CD?

Also the example album can’t be changed so it’s not possible to see what the affect is on other, could this be made changeable?

So can anyone explain it to me?

Administrator

Re: Help with understanding File Naming

The only two things which really change it are shown with the two example check boxes (if a compilation, if part of a multi cd).

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    The only two things which really change it are shown with the two example check boxes (if a compilation, if part of a multi cd).

The one I was playing with was a multi CD compliation!

But I guess what I really need is to understand the syntax, I just cant understand which bits go together? is it described somewhere? I cant work out which phrases are grouped ?

Administrator

Currently there is no help files.

I too would like to understand the naming syntax more, among other things, will there be a help file available? Thanks.

Administrator

There is a pull page of help (naming help) in the final release, see the help file for Music Converter.

Thanks, I didn't notice that b4

edit:
    for anyone else looking it should be here:
    file:///C:/....../dBpowerAMP/Help/dMC/CDhelp.htm, second section from the bottom of the page there is a paragraph on Path and Naming, also there is a link to Naming Convention which lists more in detail.
    Last edited by onthejazz; 02-10-2007 at 10:18 PM.

For anyone that wants access to the info online, i figured I'd go ahead and post it.

Path and Naming
    Path and Naming work together to set the output folder and filename, by default naming dynamically changes depending upon CD:

Single Compilation CDs: [Path]\Album Artist or Various Artists\Album\Track Number Artist - Track Title
    Multi Compilation CDs: [Path]\Album Artist or Various Artists\Album Disc Number\Track Number Artist - Track Title

Single Artist CDs: [Rip To Path]\Artist\Artist - Album - Track Number - Track Title

Naming seems complex at first, however rip a few CDs and it will become clearer. Pressing Set allows customization of the naming convention.

dBpoweramp Naming
    The purpose of Naming is to create filenames dynamically, for example a filename might be created from the artist & track title name. Naming is used by both CD Ripper and Music Converter (with Dynamic Naming).

Construct naming by adding Elements, for example this naming:

[artist]\[album]\[artist] - [title]

Creates 2 folders, first artist name, then album and the filename comprises artist and title.

When creating naming an example is shown, experiment until the desired filename has been achieved.

Programmable Naming
    Naming can be manipulated programmatically (requires dBpoweramp Reference):

[IFCOMP]string[] string is included if the Compilation tag is set.

[!IFCOMP]string[] string is included if the Compilation tag is not set.

[IFMULTI]string[] string is included if part of a multi CD set (ie disc number > 1)

[!IFMULTI]string[] string is included if not part of a multi CD set (ie disc number <= 1)

[UPPER]string[] uppercases string

[LOWER]string[] lowercases string

[RIGHT]count,string[] uses last x characters from a string, ie [RIGHT]3,abcdefg[] gives efg

[GRAB]from,to,string[] extracts a portion of string. If to is omitted then the string is grabbed to the end, ie [GRAB]2,4,abcdefg[] gives bcd

[TRIM]string[] trims spaces from beginning or end of string

[DEL]from,to,string[] removes a portion of string. If to is omitted then the string is deleted from 'from', ie [DEL]2,4,abcdefg[] gives aefg

[SETLEN]count,pre,post,string[] sets a string length, if count is more the string length then string is extended, if less than then string is shortened. When extending a string if pre (a character ascii code) is present, the string is extended by inserting characters to the front of the string, otherwise to the end. Examples:

[SETLEN]4,,,abcdefg[] gives abcd
    [SETLEN]14,65,,abcdefg[] gives AAAAAAAabcdefg
    [SETLEN]14,,66,abcdefg[] gives abcdefgBBBBBBB

[IFEQUALS]tag,equals,string[] tests the tag value, if the same as equals then string is included, example: [IFEQUALS]artist,madonna,The Artist Is Madonna[],

[IF!EQUALS] as above except string is included if tag value does not match,

[IFVALUE]tag,strifvalue,strnovalue[] if tag has a value (ie not "") then strifvalue is used, otherwise strnovalue is used, example [IFVALUE]artist,Artist Has a Value,Artist Has no Value[]

[TRIMFIRSTFOLDER]string[] removes the first folder, example [TRIMFIRSTFOLDER]f1\f2\f3[] returns f2\f3

[TRIMLASTFOLDER]string[] removes the last folder, example [TRIMLASTFOLDER]f1\f2\f3[] returns f1\f2

It is possible to nest programmable actions (ie working of the output of the other one, for example to take the artist, uppercase the first character and lowercase the rest:

[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[artist][][][LOWER][GRAB]2,,[artist][][]

To create a folder name using the first character from Artist:

[GRAB]1,1,[artist][]\

dBpoweramp Guru

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]\[track] [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[artist]\ [album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][] [track] [title][]

Im no programer, but the naming scheme is really not the easiest thing to get when you first look at it. Its easier when you realize that its nested arguments (correct term?)

So the first part:

[IFCOMP] or [IFMULTI] or whatever, opens a command that is not closed until there is a []

Sothis:
    [IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]\[track] [title][]

Actually has 3 nested commands

[IFCOMP]....[]

and inside that is:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]

and:

[IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]

[IFCOMP]....[]
    Means that if the disc is a compilation use this part

Then it moves to the next nexted command inside the [IFCOMP]....[]:
    [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]

The [IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]
    will add the following text (if its a multi disc set):
    Disc **

If you change the "Disc" text to anything it will simply be displayed as whatever text you change it to.

I'm not sure where i should put this question but I am having a problem with track names, mine look like this.
    01 Emily Jane White - Oh, KatherineEmily Jane WhiteEmily Jane WhiteEmily Jane WhiteEmily Jane White with the artist name repeated many times.

01 Cecilia Bartoli - Se Un Mio Desir...Cedi Al Duol (Giovanni Pacini; Irene O L'assedio Di Messina)Cecilia BartoliGiovanni PaciniCecilia BartoliCecilia BartoliGiovanni PaciniAdam FischerGiovanni PaciniGiovanni PaciniAdam

With classical titles they can get really long. They play fine & I didn't realize the significance of this until I tried to copy the files to another location. I ran into long filename issues,& I'm now looking for a program or batch file that will truncate the track names back to a reasonable length or better still remove all the repetitions.
    I would like to know what I can do in my naming rules to make sure this doesn't happen again & as well if anyone has any ideas on how I can automate the process of removing the repetitions I would love the help

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ibbeebee View Post
    I'm not sure where i should put this question but I am having a problem with track names, mine look like this.
    01 Emily Jane White - Oh, KatherineEmily Jane WhiteEmily Jane WhiteEmily Jane WhiteEmily Jane White with the artist name repeated many times.

01 Cecilia Bartoli - Se Un Mio Desir...Cedi Al Duol (Giovanni Pacini; Irene O L'assedio Di Messina)Cecilia BartoliGiovanni PaciniCecilia BartoliCecilia BartoliGiovanni PaciniAdam FischerGiovanni PaciniGiovanni PaciniAdam

With classical titles they can get really long. They play fine & I didn't realize the significance of this until I tried to copy the files to another location. I ran into long filename issues,& I'm now looking for a program or batch file that will truncate the track names back to a reasonable length or better still remove all the repetitions.
    I would like to know what I can do in my naming rules to make sure this doesn't happen again & as well if anyone has any ideas on how I can automate the process of removing the repetitions I would love the help
    You've somehow messed up your dynamic naming string. (ripper screen, lower left side, "naming", click on SET. Looks like you have [ARTIST] in there multiple times. The following is the string I use. It handles multidisk and compilations automatically. Anyhow, it's an example. And you can change things in the set screen and immediately see how the file name will look (using the "madonna" example.
    Code:
    [IFCOMP]Compilations\[album] [IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title]-[artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title][]