title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: "Compare" option in addition to overwrite-or-not

dBpoweramp Guru

"Compare" option in addition to overwrite-or-not

If file names match, we are given the option to overwrite or not. What about

- display AR status on the existing files (even better: update AR status, when that becomes possible)
    - give user option to abort here, otherwise
    - rip to a tmp directory
    - check if it is -- modulo offset -- same recording
    - check AR for new file
    - give user option to overwrite

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: "Compare" option in addition to overwrite-or-not

My understanding is that if the ARid matches, it should be the same disc, though maybe different pressing. Also, see my request for a not re-ripping duplicates feature.

dBpoweramp Guru

Maybe add to this: an option to update metadata and leave audio? It might be that AMG et al could accept use of metadata on already-ripped files if the CD is in the drive.

Also on wishlist: A library function -- extending the rather basic cache function -- which might allow me to, when library is scanned, to:
    (1) insert CD,
    (2) press a "check library",
    (3) get a "these are possible matches, those are their AR statuses, would you overwrite/cancel/rip-and-check",
    and if the latter is chosen
    (4) rip to a tmpdir,
    (5) scan old and new file(s) and report if (a) bit-matches, do you want to update metadata?, (b) most probably the same, but better secure/accurate status this time [new AR is supposed to identify different pressings, right?] -- would you overwrite?, (c) different audio, please choose from the metadata sources and save.

Of course (5) only makes sense if either the format is lossless or the tags reveal AR information. And (5) (b) could require some fuzzy matching if there were -- or are -- rip errors.

dBpoweramp Guru

porcus, I like these ideas