title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Converting audiobook AA files

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RussellRay
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Aug 2004

Converting audiobook AA files

Hello all

I have a question to which, I fear, I already suspect the answer - but here goes anyway.

I have an audiobook in four files with suffix .AA (specially used for audiobooks apparently). I would like to convert these to MP3 (around 64 or 128 kbps), so that I can get the whole book onto just one or two CDs.

The converter (I'm using release 1.1.5) doesn't recognise this file type and my search for an AA codec has not turned up anything of use.

So, it seems, the only way open is to use the Auxiliary Input - but this, I think, only works in real time - and each of these 4 files lasts 7 or 8 hours
    - and I don't think I can keep my computer's sound effects quiet for that long.

Is there any other more automated and faster method ?

Best regards from Ray
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Converting audiobook AA files

We cannot assist with issues regarding .aa (Audible) files. See here for the reason: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=8981

Comment

• RussellRay
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Aug 2004

Thanks to LT Data for pointing me to Spoon's explanation of AA files.

>>> The thread contained step by step instructions on how Audible’s directshow filter codec could be used with dBpoweramp. To protect these individuals from being sued by Audible (and ourselves) we have removed the posts, Illustrate are complying under Safe Harbor provisions.
      ---
      And if anybody sends me information about the conversion procedure to my private address (russell.ray@wanadoo.fr) I shall dump the message straight in my Delete folder !

Best regards from Raymond Russell

Comment

• Marioncita
        • Nov 2015

Some years ago I baught the dBpoweramp Music Converter for converting my audible-books to mp3. Last week upgraded to Windows 10, and the converter didn't work. Baught the upgrade (release 15.3), doesn't work. Looking for codecs, reaching nothing. Somebody can help me?

Comment

• schmidj
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2013

At risk of being sued by these crazy Audible people, I'd take two computers, or one computer and a digital recorder (even a cell phone, with an adapter cord). Play the book on one computer, record the analog audio output from that computer on the other computer or recorder, using the analog line in. This works for any DRM protected audio, and I believe is perfectly legal for your own personal use, as it is not a digital copy, it is an analog copy and you are using your licensed player to generate it, not cracking anything. With a book, I'm sure you will be hard put to hear any degradation in the audio quality. Even most music is fine, if the sound card in your computer is any good.

If you are concerned about "computer sounds" being inserted, and are using Windows, go to Control Panel, sound, "sounds" tab, open "sound scheme" dropdown list, click on "no sounds". Note what was selected before, so you can turn the sounds back on if you want.

Comment

Working...

]]>