title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: DRM'd CD - Accuraterip says ok but audio clicks

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

DRM'd CD - Accuraterip says ok but audio clicks

I've got a CD by Turin Brakes called Ether Song. It's a CopyControlled CD; I couldn't get it to rip without audio artifacts in any mode (Ref 13) i.e. defective by design, Secure, Burst. Autorun is off on my PC.

However, Accurate Rip reported tracks 1 and 2 as inaccurate, but the other tracks as accurate. However, they've all got massive clicks and drop-outs on them.

Does this simply mean that everyone that's ripped this disc hears the same errors?

Strangely using the same PC and drive CDex (with Paranoia set to full) ripped without any artifacts, bar two on the last track which it marked on the log as Jitter:2 which seems normal for CDex ripping a CopyControlled disc.

T'other week I ripped Mansun's Kleptomania with Ref 13 set to Burst and it sailed through - and this 3CD set has the same CopyControlled scheme on it.

Just one of those things?

Administrator

Re: DRM'd CD - Accuraterip says ok but audio clicks

>Just one of those things?

I think so.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

To follow up on this; the bulk of my CopyControlled discs fail to rip in any mode of dBpoweramp ref 13.1 without audible artifacts.

CDex set to Full Paranoia produces audibly click/pop free rips; it reports "Jitter" as it calls it on the last track, which according to CDex is always followed by the "data track".

Why does a basic, not bit-perfect, ripper produce better results that dBpoweramp on these discs?

I've got auto-run turned off in dBpoweramp and in the registry.

I'm also concerned that apparently lots of people have ripped the same copy controlled disc (for example Ether Song by Turin Brakes) and thus it's in the AccurateRip db - this means that AR says it's accurate, but the result is unlistenable. Can AR be set to reject submissions from CC discs?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

By the way, my drive is a Samsung SH-203P. I've "calibrated" it properly in dBpoweramp.

Administrator

How would AR know it was a CC disc? You might find ripping with c2 pointers off (if were on) gives a different rip.

Wink Re: DRM'd CD - Accuraterip says ok but audio clicks

Just one of those things?[/QUOTE]

Why bothering with "Does it rip copy-protected or not" (= one of those things), I suggest my way:
    ConeCD + any DVD, write an image in CloneCD, load the image into the virtual clone drive (freeware) and rip with db just selecting the virtual drive as source. Everything's fine then. Perhaps this also explains why there are reference rips in accurate rip. I admit this is a "long walk" around, but it provides with best results (and is finally faster - fast reading in clone, faster ripping in db.)
    Greetings

I just download dbpoweramp, and have run into this problem while trying to copy the latest Norah Jones cd. I was pursuing the CloneCD solution, but ran into a potential problem. I got a warning from Microsoft saying the Virtual Clone Drive software wasn't cleared to work with Windows XP. I could have installed it, but it warned there could by system problems. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also, why do I need the Virtual Drive? Can't I use CloneCD and copy it to my hd?

Thanks for any help

dBpoweramp Guru

if you are ripping with CloneCD there may be ecc going on and masking intentional errors.

This issue is exactly why I have requested a dsp to scan rips for pops/clicks (something easily done) at the end of a rip.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

try anydvd, it tends to disable/bypass most of the protections on cd's and dvd's(and bd's and and and)

if that dosnt work, you could try blindwrite to clone the disk to you hdd(1:1 image) then try ripping from the image and see what happens.

this is why i now refuse to buy cd's tho, they want you to buy the disk, then buy the digital copy to when I really just want the music for my fuze

ok I will buy USED cd's at a local place because i pay 1-5bucks a pop rather then 12-20 a pop, and the RIAA gets nothing out of it, and also, the money saved is worth the possible hassle getting the music off the disk.

Hello,

Please forgive my ignorance on this one, but how would I know if any of my CDs are copy protected?

I've ripped over 250 CDs now and have had NO indication to me that any of them were DRM'd or copy protected. Granted, I'm probably not in the same genre as most of the others (maybe a third of my jazz collection was not in AccurateRip data base before me)... so, maybe none of my CDs were copy protected because there just isn't that huge of a market for the music I love so much.

I would NOT want to have to go back now and listen to 250 CDs times about a dozen tracks each just to see if I have the same popping problem going on. Isn't there an easier way? Clearly, AccurateRip is not 100-percent infallible on this, so how do I rely on knowing that I do indeed have good rips without having to listen in real time to each and every track?

I did have about a dozen times when I could not get dBpoweramp to read or even acknowledge a disk, though I could easily get it to play with WMP or any of my other players. I doubt if this is the same issue as DRM or copy protection... but, it makes me ask the question, what's up with that? Is there a setting that I could change for when this happens?

Thank you in advance for answers to my various questions above.

Best,

Garrett

Administrator

They have a logo on the CD which says 'copy control'

Okay, cool... that answers that! Thank you!!

How about when dBpoweramp simply does not acknowledge or read a music CD when it is inserted? Numerous times asking it to refresh doesn't do anything. It's like the drive is empty. But, any other program (Windows Media Player, etc.) can see it instantly, no problem. Put in another disk and all is fine... go *back* to the first one, same story. I've had at least a dozen disks where I couldn't rip them for the above reasons. I just had to give up and go to the next disk.

What's up with that?

Best wishes!! And thanks for your support and attention.

Garrett (very satisfied customer)

Administrator

R13.4 had a bug, install R13.5 to fix.