title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Trim filename and path to x number chars

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moley6knipe
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2008

Trim filename and path to x number chars

Been having some problems with dBpoweramp reference 13 ripping long filenames and paths in Apple Lossless.

Win XP Pro SP2
    dBpoweramp reference 13 registered
    Multi-encoding to...
    Apple Lossless R8 codec
    Lame 3.97 codec

For example, if my intended ripping path/filename is...

C:\Documents and Settings\Colin Wheatley\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\SqueezeCenter and AppleTV Library\iTunes Music\+DBPOWERAMP RIPS+\Rod Stewart\Reason To Believe; The Complete Mercury Studio Recordings [Disc 01]17-You're My Girl (I Don't Want To Discuss It).m4a

...then the resulting file is in a directory called...

...Reason To Believe; The Complete Mercury Studio Recordings [Disc 0\17-You're My Girl (I Don't Want To Discuss It).m4a

...and the file is invalid. Oddly the mirror directory structure of mp3s is fine...

C:\Documents and Settings\Colin Wheatley\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iPod Library\iTunes Music\Rod Stewart\Reason to Believe; The Complete Mercury Studio Recordings [Disc 01]\17-You're My Girl (I Don't Want to Discuss It).mp3

...is a valid file. But I guess that's a marginally shorter path.

so, please can I request an option to trim filenames/paths to x number of characters, preferably with the option of where to lose the characters, ie from alubm name or filename.

Thanks!!
  • moley6knipe
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2008

Re: Trim filename and path to x number chars

I should add that I've reorganised my ridiculous file path so I've shaved a 101 characters off the full filename and path!

So I've got a workaround, but the above took me ages to suss out what was going wrong!

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

I will look at it for r13.1
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• EliC
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

The best way to do this would be:

[MAXCHAR]count,string[] <<-- Not a real command, dont use

You could then specify in a nested manner how many to allow for each part

[MAXCHAR]20,[ALBUM][]

so

Reason To Believe; The Complete Mercury Studio Recordings

becomes

Reason To Believe; T

Comment

• EliC
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

Couldn you use the SETLEN command?

[SETLEN]count,pre,post,string[]

[SETLEN]20,,,[ALBUM][]

Comment

• Teknojnky
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2006

the windows documents & settings folder causes alot of problems with long path/filenames.

Best to have a short \music or similar root folder to shave a ton of useless characters from the path.

Comment

• EliC
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

yeah, you will get the best bang for your buck by changing

Documents and Settings\Colin Wheatley\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\SqueezeCenter and AppleTV Library\iTunes Music\+DBPOWERAMP RIPS+\

to

Music\

Comment

• moley6knipe
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • May 2008

Yeah, thanks folks, done exactly that! I've always put music in a folder on the root before, but started ripping before I'd thought about it when I bought my latest PC!

I have indeed since discovered setlen, which works nicely (I truncate filename to 30 characters). A global setting might be nice though - perhaps something that could restrict all folders/filenames past a certain point in the folder path to x characters each, or x characters shared between the remaining filepath?

As an aside, I rip to Apple Lossless using ref 13. When I used to rip to Apple Lossless using iTunes, it would create the filenames with 36 characters being the maximum it would use.

And as a Squeezebox user, I know there's a problem with SqueezeCenter not being able to play AAC or ALAC files whose filename is above 63 characters; I think it's a limitation of QuickTime on a Windows machine, which is what SqueezeCenter calls on to transcode these formats.

Just a couple fo points in case they're of use! Cheers for the pointers folks!

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

It was multi encoder which needed recompiling with our latest code, now fixed:

Changes: Updated to latest R13 naming conventions. Also corrections to naming which will now correctly limit the filename length. Bug Fix: Could not type a directory name longer than the visible output to folder. Download: &lt;Now Released&gt;
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• moley6knipe
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • May 2008

Great, thanks! Nice work fixing the "can't type more than visible" in filepath bug, been meaning to post about that!

Comment

• dvdr
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Sep 2008

Hi

I just don't get this to work. I am using the default value plus the SETLEN command as described here - but whatever I do, the filename ALWAYS is extended to 180 characters! I would love to limit it, in case it should be longer, but if it's shorter, than not extend it...

Here's what I have been using:

[IFCOMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],Various Artists[]\[album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][]\[SETLEN]180,,,[track] - [artist] - [title][][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album]\[SETLEN]180,,,[artist] - [album][IFMULTI] Disc [disc][] - [track] - [title][][]

Am I missing anything? Any error in the code? All plugins are updated to the latest version, also the multiencoder, in case it would interfere (you rewrote some code, as I read)

Thanks for helping.

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

Try R13.1 and use the new (not in multi encoder):

[maxlength]180,xxxxxxxxxx[]
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jason_s
                          • Oct 2007

Does the new [maxlength] option work with Arrange Audio through Batch Converter in 13.1?

Not having any luck so far...

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

No it would not.
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dvdr
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Sep 2008

Hi
                              After experimenting with the trial, I bought dBpoweramp (the trial absolutely convinced me!) and am currently running 13.1
                              Where would I set the proper command to limit my character-count to let's say 180 in the following naming-scheme:

[IFEQUALS]genre,Classical,[IFCOMP]Compilations\[album][IFVALUE]album artist,\[album artist]\,[]\[IFMULTI]Disc [disc] - [][track] - [title] ([composer] - [artist])[][IF!COMP][composer]\[album] ([year])\[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[IFMULTI] Disc [disc] - [][track] - [title] ([album] ([composer]) - [artist])[][][IF!EQUALS]genre,Classical,[IFCOMP]Compilations\[album][IFVALUE]album artist,\[album artist]\,[]\[IFMULTI] Disc [disc] - [][track] - [artist] - [title][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album]\[IFMULTI] Disc [disc] - [][track] - [title]([artist] - [album])[][]

Thanks for helping!

Comment

Working...

]]>